What's new

Daily bluescreen

Robin Stevens

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Brand new Surface Pro 3, i7 with 512GB storage.

Every day, when I first try to use it, I get two or three blue screens in a row. Eventually it settles down. I suspect this may be related to restoring from hibernate.

It's not really good enough: Microsoft control the hardware, Microsoft control the software - can they not ensure the two work well together?

Or have I just got a duff machine...

If I'm the only one seeing these problems, I'll take it back for an exchange.

Wierdninja

I've never seen that issue on my core i5 SP3. That many blue screens is not a good sign. I would definitely has someone look at it, or just exchange it. If it was me I'd do an exchange. Did you try a reinstall?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Some information about the text that displays during the blue screen might help. I suspect a problem with a driver or possibly a disk (file structure) corruption. Blue screens warrant a chkdsk.

OP
R

Robin Stevens

I've had the following, all of which I managed to take photos of. I've also had a few more (4 or so) that I didn't photograph.

ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NONEXECUTE_MEMORY
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (x 4)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (x 2)
INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(One I can't read - the photo's blurred)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Cheers,
Rob

leeshor

Looks like a driver problem, Could be a native Windows driver so I need to ask have you applied every update? If so you may have a 32-bit program acting up. Tough to diagnose but doesn't sound like hardware.

Kif

I haven't gotten a single blue screen in four months. Definitely not normal. I would open a support case with Microsoft to get this recorded. I'm sure they'll have you do a system restore. After that install your software one application at a time and watch for issues. Also look to see if your installed software is running services in the background. Finally run msconfig and see what's running at startup.

olimjj

Windows key + x key
Choose Command Prompt(Admin)
At the prompt Type sfc /scannow
Hit enter key
Be patient it takes a while
Type exit when finished
Restart

malberttoo

I haven't gotten a single blue screen in four months. Definitely not normal. I would open a support case with Microsoft to get this recorded. I'm sure they'll have you do a system restore. After that install your software one application at a time and watch for issues. Also look to see if your installed software is running services in the background. Finally run msconfig and see what's running at startup.

Same here, never once had a blue screen on my SP3.

Antitoon

Your RAM might be defective, this often causes weird and inconsistent blue screens. I would try downloading Memtest86 or a similar tool and run it. If even a single error occurs, you should have your Surface replaced.

nilsk123

First surface pro 3 i had did the same thing, random bluescreens, and wouldnt go to sleep mode. Turned out memory was corrupted, had to get a replacement