What's new

Data Loss - One Drive and File History

Wayne Orwig

I've experienced some of what you all are saying in that I migrated from Apple to Microsoft; however, I really didn't have any difficulty syncing between the two (I think Apple does a good job in this area all things considered). Then when I left all iProducts it wasn't an issue of course. Now though, for my needs I'm thinking a Note 3 will suit me better than my Nokia - that's what prompted my question about syncing between my SP3 and an Android phone.

Given what you've said above, are there ways you know of to sync calendar, contacts, email (I realize to sync browser info I'd have to run Chrome on both the phone and SP3) between the SP3 and an Android phone? I know there are apps to get the information from my SP3 onto an Android phone, but I'm really interested in knowing the way(s), if any, to keep that information synced. Using OneDrive I'll be able to readily keep files available on both, which is necessary, but if you know anything about syncing the ordinary stuff like calendar, contact & email, please pass it on. Thanks.

Other than MY fault for syncing a blank directory over top of my OneDrive from my phone, I have had very good luck with FolderSync for Android. I take a photo with my phone, a few seconds later, it is on OneDrive. I edit a document on my phone or any of my many PCs, and it ends up on all other devices. It works very well in my opinion. As with EVERYTHING, I do keep backups too.

Telstar1948

Other than MY fault for syncing a blank directory over top of my OneDrive from my phone, I have had very good luck with FolderSync for Android. I take a photo with my phone, a few seconds later, it is on OneDrive. I edit a document on my phone or any of my many PCs, and it ends up on all other devices. It works very well in my opinion. As with EVERYTHING, I do keep backups too.

Thanks. I'll check out FolderSync.

I've gotten my Google account linked to my MS account, and everything is syncing pretty well between my SP3 and my N3. That includes email, contacts, calendar, cloud stuff (OneDrive) and MS Office and OneNote. The only odd thing is with my contacts. I can make a change to a contact on my SP3 in the People app or in Outlook 2013 - either one. The change shows up in my contacts on my N3 within moments. BUT, if I want to make a change to a contact on the N3, I go into my contacts app, select the contact I want to do something with, select Edit, and I'm presented with two accounts...MS and Google (I uploaded my contacts from MS to Google). If I select the MS account in Edit, the contact information is grayed out and I cannot make any changes. If I select the Google account while in Edit, all the information is available to edit; however, changes made from my N3 on the Google side do not show up on my SP3 even though my MS account is linked to the Google account. I didn't upload my contacts to Google at first, but when I couldn't edit a contact from my N3 I thought perhaps if I went through Google with linked accounts it might work that way. So far, it hasn't. Any ideas??

Wayne Orwig

I have an overly complicated arrangement for contacts. I encountered something like what you have. On my MS outlook.com account, I have it linked to my Google contacts. But it appears that they are held on Outlook.com in a separate 'folder' so to speak. As in, if my contacts are on Google, I link Google to Outlook.com, I have my Android linked to Outlook.com (not Google), then my Android changes to the MS contacts do not make it to my Win 8.1 surface. They make it to the online Outlook.com, but not to the Surface.

So for contacts, I now use Google only for contacts. My Android phone and my Surface both sync only to Google. I removed the MS contacts accounts. There are other reasons that I use Google only, but it is odd that the Google to MS link does not sync to the Surface.

Telstar1948

Wayne, thanks for the info.

From what you say your contacts on your SP3 (People, Outlook, whatever) sync through Google so that you can edit from either end, and it shows up at the other end OK, and this occurred when you removed your MS account for contacts?

I'm not clear about removing the MS account from contacts. In other words, remove the MS account link from the People app, from Outlook 2013? What about Outlook.com?

Sorry for being dense today, but I would like to do what you've done (contacts on my N3 sync with People and Outlook 2013 on my SP3 both ways - to and from my N3). I'm just fuzzy on how you accomplished it.