What's new

Dealing with fur!

So, those pet owners amongst us will know what im on about here.

As much as I love the little blighter, my dog sheds constantly and her fur is very fine. it gets everywhere. in my food, on my clean clothes, in the PS4, in my laptops, etc etc. No matter how many times a day I sweep and vacuum, there is always more.

How do I deal with the inevitable buildup in my SP3? just stick a powerful vacuum over the vent holes? compressed air? should I blow or suck? :p

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Impossible... Either put your dog in one of these
url

or use your Surface in one :D

url

VickiFL

So, those pet owners amongst us will know what im on about here.

As much as I love the little blighter, my dog sheds constantly and her fur is very fine. it gets everywhere. in my food, on my clean clothes, in the PS4, in my laptops, etc etc. No matter how many times a day I sweep and vacuum, there is always more.

How do I deal with the inevitable buildup in my SP3? just stick a powerful vacuum over the vent holes? compressed air? should I blow or suck? :p

I know how you feel. We have 4 furbabies, all rescued. Two have short hair, but the other two have long hair, a full blooded Collie and German Shepherd. We are always cleaning up hair, but I'm not really worried about hair getting into my SP3.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Unlikely to cause trouble.

Hair (fur) is not such a problem, given the small ventilation holes and low velocity fan of laptops and tablets, especially. But dander (especially from cats) and lint (especially from wool carpets, not synthetic) might be a problem, in certain circumstances.

I've opened up MacBooks and laptops to refurbish/upgrade enough to see this. But I also have learned that these two habits sort of keep the machines clean:
- Don't keep the machine stationary. Move it around by carrying it vertically, such as in a case, or in various positions, sometimes powered on, sometimes off. In other words, don't use it like a desktop, sitting in the same place for weeks. Don't keep it powered on for long periods near the carpeting or floor.
- Use your computer in alternatively dry and more humid climates. Indoors, outdoors, various seasons.

These tips help avoid buildup.

kundas1

your SP3 moves around too much so You don't have to worry so much, it's the computers that are stationary that you have to worry about...

CrippsCorner

Mine doesn't :rolleyes: still, should be moving out to a place with no pets soon! Sad... but good in some way I guess lol.

bluegrass

If a my dog was a problem that damages my Surface, I'm afraid the Surface would need to go. I've been a computer tech since "MOONDAY", & have had a personal computer in my homes since 1978. I think you're concerned about something you shouldn't be. As I walk through my house, I'm constantly grabbing some fur balls laying around on the floor and my dog sits at my feet while I'm on my Surface most of the time.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a my dog was a problem that damages my Surface, I'm afraid the Surface would need to go. I've been a computer tech since "MOONDAY", & have had a personal computer in my homes since 1978. I think you're concerned about something you shouldn't be. As I walk through my house, I'm constantly grabbing some fur balls laying around on the floor and my dog sits at my feet while I'm on my Surface most of the time.
Which MOONDAY would that be???
13 September 1959 - The first human-made object to reach the surface of the Moon was the Soviet Union's Luna 2 mission

20 July 1969 - The United States' Apollo 11 was the first manned mission to land on the Moon

(IF you believe either of the above really happened at all) :)

First Monday in October.

Other???

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I could merely trade my SP3 to get back back the dog I lost several years ago.

And all my other computers.
And the furniture they sit on.

And the mother in-law.