What's new

Dear SP3 - Now we have to study

Ozozuz

Hi guys, i preordered my Sp3 i5 128Gb to bring it with me during University lessons, I will start from October to attend the faculty of computer engineering but I think I need some advice on how to make the most of my sp3.
I've never had a tablet, so I have some questions about it.

First of all I'm not sure that OneNote can be enough, are you able to recommend me the most suitable programs that I might need in an engineering course ? Even just to take notes more effectively?

And talking about the powr, should I mean the device as a tablet or a laptop?
I mean, i have choose to shut it down every time I've finished with it ? Or the button on the chassy, "that I do not know what to do exactly, standby? Hibernate?" it's enough?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will at the most inopportune time.
2. Always be prepared: carry 5 or 10 sheets of paper and a two pens or pencils.
3. Network with classmates to get notes you missed.

OneNote is loaded with awesomeness. Office (word, excel), I can't really recommend other things you need for an Engineering Curriculum in today's world but there certainly a load of engineering focused tools available, what you can or can't use at universities is another matter. I'd think the Advisors and senior classmates will have the skinny on those but there could be some here... looking in to offer advise.

Yeah, just tap the button normally is fine or if you have keyboard cover just close it for going class to class etc. Shutdown is optional but if your not going to use it for several hours its a consideration... you'll figure that out soon enough. In theory connected standby/hibernate preserves the battery but remember Murphy.

Protect it with your life... and treat it gently as your whole existence may well reside on this device... well make use of the OneDrive Syncing... but a damaged unit could hamper your studies if replacement is not instant. You got the accident replacement plan right.

Last edited:

FlySwatter

I'm assuming you're going to carry it in your book bag. If you book bag doesn't already have a nice protective pouch for notebooks or tablets, get a neoprene case for extra protection.

CrippsCorner

I really need to look into OneNote... even my girlfriend who is very anti-Microsoft recently got it on her iPad and said she's very impressed!

Personally though for writing etc. I still use the brilliant (and totally free) OpenOffice :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really need to look into OneNote... even my girlfriend who is very anti-Microsoft recently got it on her iPad and said she's very impressed!

Personally though for writing etc. I still use the brilliant (and totally free) OpenOffice :)
I imagine the profs will standardize on a tool set but maybe not. I'd hate to be a prof and have even two different formats submitted much less byof. Engineering notion support is another consideration.

nnthemperor

Problem is on a Surface deeply embedded in the MS ecosystem, running without office365 and the OneDrive integration is an incomplete experience IMHO. Haven't used OpenOffice so I can't speak about the experience.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem is on a Surface deeply embedded in the MS ecosystem, running without office365 and the OneDrive integration is an incomplete experience IMHO. Haven't used OpenOffice so I can't speak about the experience.

I'll just have to settle for an incomplete experience then :) No matter how they try and sell it to me, even £59 for 4 years as a student, which on the face of it sounds great, i will never buy into subscription based software. Be it xbox gold, office 365, world of warcraft. I'll stick with 2013. Also onedrive is of little use to me either, I used to use google drive, but the novelty quickly wore off as i realised i didn't actually have any use for it and due to upload speeds, it was easier just to use a flash drive.

With regard to the OP and how to make the most out of it as a tablet, well noone can really tell you that. Just as an example, open up a search for top android apps and well, i get presented with a list of apps etc that are supposedly must have, you can't live without them, yet to me they're all worthless, for example pinterest, twitter, instagram etc, they all feature as must haves for a tablet, yet i couldn't care less.

FlySwatter

... which on the face of it sounds great, i will never buy into subscription based software. ... I'll stick with 2013. Also onedrive is of little use to me either, I used to use google drive, but the novelty quickly wore off as i realised i didn't actually have any use for it and due to upload speeds, it was easier just to use a flash drive.../QUOTE]

With minimal exceptions, I heartily agree.

mitchellvii

Something few people mention is that you can carry an external battery pack that holds TONS of juice and is no bigger than a deck of cards. If you are in class and run low on power just plug in your battery pack and you are good to go. You can also leave the pack plugged into your SP3 in your bag and it recharge your SP3 passively.

These can be found very cheaply on Amazon.