What's new

Deciding if I should buy a surface pro 4

robsk102

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums but have followed some threads over the past few days.

I've been trying to figure out if I should purchase a SP4 based on my needs and I've come across a few cases that might make me decide otherwise. However if anyone can help me solve these I think my decision to purchase would be easy.

I am a business professional, looking to use the SP4 for both personal and work (and side projects). I will likely be using the SP4 for Office 365 applications (word, PPT, Excel etc) but also would like to use One Note as well.

So, here are my questions
- If I am presenting OR viewing a presentation, am I able to also take notes on One Note simultaneously?
- How well can the SP4 integrate with different monitors and displays? (eg - home, office, conference room) - assuming different adapters are needed.
- How is the integration with OneDrive, Box and Dropbox?
- How are the security features on the SP4 and OneDrive?
- How is the integration with Android?

I think that is all for now so your feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

Rob

Exhile

- If I am presenting OR viewing a presentation, am I able to also take notes on One Note simultaneously?
When presenting, you can "extend" the desktop to have OneNote on the SP4 screen and the projector with the PPT remote on the other. When viewing a presentation you can snap OneNote and PPT so that each application will take up half of the SP4 screen while inking.
- How well can the SP4 integrate with different monitors and displays? (eg - home, office, conference room) - assuming different adapters are needed.
You need a mini DIsplayPort to DisplayPort adapter to "extend" or "mirror" the desktop of theSP4. Here's a link to do that: Connect Surface to a TV, monitor, or projector
- How is the integration with OneDrive, Box and Dropbox?
OneDrive will automatically sync your personal files in the "My Documents" folder. This is done immediately when you setup the SP4. You can choose which folders to sync and which folders not to.
- How are the security features on the SP4 and OneDrive?
I had to signup for a Microsoft Outlook e-mail account so that I can view my files on OneDrive on any web browser. As for viewing through File Explorer, Windows 10 remembers your authorization to view your files.
- How is the integration with Android?
Don't have an Android phone.

Some other members on surfaceforums.net could answer these questions a bit better than I could.

When presenting, you can "extend" the desktop to have OneNote on the SP4 screen and the projector with the PPT remote on the other. When viewing a presentation you can snap OneNote and PPT so that each application will take up half of the SP4 screen while inking.

WiDi adapter's $20, this is a snap.

You need a mini DIsplayPort to DisplayPort adapter to "extend" or "mirror" the desktop of theSP4. Here's a link to do that: Connect Surface to a TV, monitor, or projector

Just make sure the miniDP > DP cable is 1.2

OneDrive will automatically sync your personal files in the "My Documents" folder. This is done immediately when you setup the SP4. You can choose which folders to sync and which folders not to.

I had to signup for a Microsoft Outlook e-mail account so that I can view my files on OneDrive on any web browser. As for viewing through File Explorer, Windows 10 remembers your authorization to view your files.

Don't have an Android phone.

All the integration is via the cloud and all the MS apps (including OneNote) are on the Play Store. A Windows 10 device works real well when connecting to your SP4 directly with a USB cable, it even natively edits .PLA files.

Some other members on surfaceforums.net could answer these questions a bit better than I could.

wynand32

I'll jump in here and say if you can wait a couple of months, say through April, then there's a very good chance that a Surface Pro 5 is on its way.