What's new

Deleting Windows 10 TEch Preview when it hasn't been installed?

SeanP

So I decided to go ahead and install Windows 10 tech preview. Went through the process, but for some reason, it never worked. Said it was installing but when it rebooted I'm back to the same look as before. Start button is the same (just the windows icon lower left) and there's no difference.

It prompted me to install again. So, I did it again....no luck. Same issue. So I tried it a 3rd time...and no luck.

Now, I would rather not install it at all, given some of the issues I have read that are happening. However, I have an issue. It continues to prompt me to install...saying that I have important update waiting. How do I delete something that was never installed in the first place?

I found the actual downloaded file, and deleted that, but it is still asking me to update.

Any thoughts on how to end this? Again, it's never worked but doesn't stop prompting me to download.

Thank you

AllTaken

So I decided to go ahead and install Windows 10 tech preview. Went through the process, but for some reason, it never worked. Said it was installing but when it rebooted I'm back to the same look as before. Start button is the same (just the windows icon lower left) and there's no difference.

It prompted me to install again. So, I did it again....no luck. Same issue. So I tried it a 3rd time...and no luck.

Now, I would rather not install it at all, given some of the issues I have read that are happening. However, I have an issue. It continues to prompt me to install...saying that I have important update waiting. How do I delete something that was never installed in the first place?

I found the actual downloaded file, and deleted that, but it is still asking me to update.

Any thoughts on how to end this? Again, it's never worked but doesn't stop prompting me to download.

Thank you

I know it's a pain but Windows 10 rollback as it were, is not the most reliable and a faulty install can change any number of files.

If I were in your shoes I would be backing up and starting afresh.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If all else fails, use the SP3 recovery image from Microsoft-http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

It's what I had to use to get my SP3 going again.
Did you have any trouble making the USB Recovery Drive?
I tried to make one just for doing it but it wont boot... says \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD is missing or corrupt.
In fact the first time it wasn't there... the second time ... not there ... the third time I extracted to local disk then copied to USB... its there but still don't work.

I guess I'll redownload the Zip and or try a different USB.

malberttoo

Did you have any trouble making the USB Recovery Drive?
I tried to make one just for doing it but it wont boot... says \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD is missing or corrupt.
In fact the first time it wasn't there... the second time ... not there ... the third time I extracted to local disk then copied to USB... its there but still don't work.

I guess I'll redownload the Zip and or try a different USB.

Yes, to the issues, exact same as you mentioned. Wasn't positive that my thumb drive wasn't the issue, so finally gave up and ran to the store and picked up an 8GB Sony drive (was using a PNY before) and then all was well.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, to the issues, exact same as you mentioned. Wasn't positive that my thumb drive wasn't the issue, so finally gave up and ran to the store and picked up an 8GB Sony drive (was using a PNY before) and then all was well.
Ok on another theory I'm gong to copy the zip to another computer and make the USB there to see if it works using the same USB drive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have Rufus but I'm determined to not use it and just follow the MS instructions ... if it will work :)
I have noticed several people here have problems before which is what prompted me to embark on this Sisyphean endeavor. :)

malberttoo

I have Rufus but I'm determined to not use it and just follow the MS instructions ... if it will work :)
I have noticed several people here have problems before which is what prompted me to embark on this Sisyphean endeavor. :)

Well that's the issue I had- the link I posted above has no information about the USB drive! It just says you need "a USB drive", but nothing about it being bootable. That's why I was kind of surprised they did a zip instead of an .iso. Anyways after you sign into the page, then select what device you need the image for, step 2 gives you a download button. I could never get beyond step 2 on the page. The download worked fine, but there was no button or anything that came after Download that would let me move the instructions forward.

OP
S

SeanP

Just so we are clear, I attempted to upgrade to Windows 10 but after going through the process twice, it failed both times.

Now it still says the update to Windows 10 Tech Preview is still there...the idea here is for me to remove that update completely, NOT go back from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1...I'm still in Windows 8.1 but want to get rid of the constant upgrade reminder that I now have stuck in updates.

Are you saying I cannot remove it without recovery image? Again, I'm not upgraded..it failed..Just want to remove the Upgrade Reminder completely