What's new

Dell P2715Q on my SP2

I bought a Dell P2715Q because the sp2 supports 4K displays. I attached the mDP to DP cable that came with the monitor and I can't not get it to go above 2650x1440.
I've loaded the newest intel drivers.
I tried to go through the settings, but when I "list settings" the max that it has is 2560x1440 at 60hz.

on the phone with MST, they had me try an HDMI cable which got me 4K @ 24Hz, but it looked all weird.

Any help?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, I think the U series Intel chip display specs state 4k @30hz. That may not be a default option though...
There was a thread here about someone creating a custom resolution with the Intel driver control panel. Otherwise IDK.

OP
A

Aaron Pepelis

if you look at this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...q/6f6fca9b-a752-4c5d-bbdd-cf561a7b8436?page=2

there is a page from the display that states that it can do it at 60hz. If you want to drive 2x4K, then it's at 30hz (daisy chained) and I think the surface monitor is off at that point.

and then this line But all any of us are able to get is either 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz via HDMI or 2560 x 1440 via DisplayPort

I was on the phone with MST for 45 minutes about this and they said it should work just fine. I tried going through the installing of the latest driver and making a custom setting, but the connection to the monitor only allows for max 2560x1440 @ 60Hz or 59hz. I don't get the ability to set anything else.

GoodBytes

Sorry, Intel integrated graphics in the Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 can only do 4K at 30Hz, including the Core i7 model of the SP3.
Yes, it sucks. Welcome to the world of Intel integrated graphics: don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of their mouth.
We are in 2015, and Intel "full" DirectX and OpenGL support, is still not there as promised... the same promise said ages ago, with previous generation hardware.

I wish more people pushed manufacture to put an Nvidia or AMD chip, so that we can get proper full 4K 60Hz support, proper and full OpenGL, DirectX, and let's not mention: OpenCL, DirectCompute and CUDA (in the case of Nvidia as it is exclusive to them) support. Not to mention, drivers that aren't filled with bugs affecting the experience of the device. Anyway, hopefully the Surface Pro 4, but that is wishful thinking.

GoodBytes

Set the monitor, via the on screen menu, to DisplayPort 1.2 if you have such option somewhere inside.
If that doesn't work, from the Intel Control Panel (you need to get the drivers from Intel website to access it), and from there you can create a custom resolution. Enter the resolution of your monitor at 30Hz.

OP
A

Aaron Pepelis

there are no options in the monitor for that... wow,I finally found the custom resolution hidden under a tab. I made a custom resolution for 3840x2160 @30hz and it doesn't do anything when I apply it.

GoodBytes

Strange. Abd when you set it in the Intel integrated graphics panel, it doesn't do anything... Hmm..
Oh, do Win+P. and pick "second screen only"