What's new

Desktop Internet Explorer 11 in Blue will include swipe navigation!

Nuspieds

Me, too, I love the swipe feature of the Modern UI IE!

Great news, indeed, if it comes to fruition.

Now, if it does come to fruition, let's hope that they also borrow the Favorites functionality from Desktop IE and implement it in the Modern UI IE. :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Me, too, I love the swipe feature of the Modern UI IE!

Great news, indeed, if it comes to fruition.

Now, if it does come to fruition, let's hope that they also borrow the Favorites functionality from Desktop IE and implement it in the Modern UI IE. :)

Yes there is really no way to organize favorites in the Modern UI. It's weird like they just left it out. I bet MS researched it and found that no one organizes their favorites. This was the same research that told them no one uses the Start button, lol.

repinca

This was the same research that told them no one uses the Start button, lol.

HA! Seriously though, you know those people complaining about the start button are the same ones that have desktops that are lined to the hilt with icons, not a single open space. You're telling me they make a lot of use of the start button?

Nuspieds

Yes there is really no way to organize favorites in the Modern UI. It's weird like they just left it out. I bet MS researched it and found that no one organizes their favorites. This was the same research that told them no one uses the Start button, lol.
No, I do not feel like they just "left it out." That's because the whole folder functionality seems to be left out of the Modern UI, period.

Although the Modern UI Start screen is definitely not a replacement for the Desktop Start button, if you are going to suggest a replacement paradigm then at least provide the equivalent functionality. The Modern UI/Start screen does not provide a way to group items into folder structures. This is no different from the Modern UI IE Favorites.

So, you see, I think someone at Microsoft just decided that folders were "soooooooo Desktop" and that they have no place in the "Modern UI;" hence, they were left out, period. :mad:

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

#1 MS hates menus. Starting in Office 2007, they set out to replace all menus (highly useful and customizable) with "ribbons" (bulky, clunky and confusing). Folders go on menus therefore MS is getting rid of folders as well. Sometimes I think a Kindergarten Class is in charge of R & D at MS. They go for big pretty pictures ahead of functionality every time. The emphasis is on "how things look" not "how things work".

I have been using MS Office for as long as there has been a MS Office and even I find Office 2013 unintuitive and confusing.

Modern UI is like Communism - sounds great on paper but doesn't work in real life.

Nuspieds

The bottom line is that when it comes to UI, Microsoft is the last company you look to for design and innovation. They just don't know what they're doing from release to release.

For years I have been accustomed to opening Outlook and viewing my Inbox, 3-month Calendar, and Tasks on one screen. Beautiful, efficient, and effective. Then comes Office 2013 and all that disappears! Is there a way to get it back? Somewhat, but it is not the same look, feel and experience. :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
#1 MS hates menus. Starting in Office 2007, they set out to replace all menus (highly useful and customizable) with "ribbons" (bulky, clunky and confusing). Folders go on menus therefore MS is getting rid of folders as well. Sometimes I think a Kindergarten Class is in charge of R & D at MS. They go for big pretty pictures ahead of functionality every time. The emphasis is on "how things look" not "how things work".

I have been using MS Office for as long as there has been a MS Office and even I find Office 2013 unintuitive and confusing.

Modern UI is like Communism - sounds great on paper but doesn't work in real life.

Office 2003 had around 38,000 Commands spread across its Menus, back when the Menu System makes sense was Word 1.0 as it had around 100ish Commands, even by Office 2000 when there were 21,000 Menus it started losing there usability even with the attempt at Adaptive Menus (most turned that feature off).

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Office 2003 had around 38,000 Commands spread across its Menus, back when the Menu System makes sense was Word 1.0 as it had around 100ish Commands, even by Office 2000 when there were 21,000 Menus it started losing there usability even with the attempt at Adaptive Menus (most turned that feature off).

So MS' answer to 38,000 possible menu commands I could customize was to replace them with about 80 or so pretty tiles THEY decided I needed? What the hell happened to the other 37,920 commands? Did they cease to exist or were they just harder to get to?

I am tired of MS constantly telling me as the end user that I only "think" I hate their "innovations" because I'm not progressive enough. There's a reason I am running my business on 10 year old software and it's not because I can't afford $15 a month for Office 2013.

I look forward to swipe navigation in IE 11. I just hope they don't get rid of my favorites menu tree in the process but I wouldn't be surprised.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The problem is that Modern UI is just fine for the casual content-oriented tablet user, but why would a casual content-oriented tablet user choose Windows over iOS or Android? It's more expensive and has fewer apps. And why would a serious business user who needs full Windows want Modern UI? Apple gets this, they have two separate OS's for desktop and tablet.

MS has had decent sales with Windows 8 but that includes sales to OEM's and wholesale to stores, that doesn't include units sold to actual consumers which, based upon terrible PC sales is likely unimpressive. At this point MS was crowing about Windows 7 success. Not much crowing lately about Windows 8 sales to actual end-users.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/26/4265182/windows-8-sales-after-six-months-are-a-mystery

Question, if you are shopping for a fine business suit, do you go to the sporting goods store? If you are shopping for basketball shorts do you go to the tailor? Why not? Because one size does NOT fit all. With Windows Blue we'll see if they get that. If they turn out a true desktop (mouse and keyboard), non Modern UI (unless you want it) version then Windows 8 has a chance. As it is there is no way Windows 8 ever achieves enterprise acceptance. Why would a Fortune 500 company spend millions retraining their people on a silly, inefficient consumer-based UI when 99% of them don't even have touch screens? Once we get past early adopter and OEM sales Windows 8 will crater.

Have you ever watched a "Computer Guy" skit on SNL? Teaching non-technical types new things on a computer is HARD.

[video=youtube;tfKL6RM8hsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKL6RM8hsY[/video]

The only thing standing in the way of Windows 8 becoming an across the board runaway success is MS's own arrogance. Sadly that is a big obstacle. Just because MS is big doesn't mean they can't be stupid. Hell, Google bought Motorola. They probably borrowed MS's Research Team to focus group that one.

LIST OF THINGS MICROSOFT TELLS US WE DON'T LIKE:
1) Start Buttons.
2) Aero Interface.
3) Menus.
4) Smooth Screen Fonts.
5) Adjustable Kickstands.
6) Optional Pen Nibs.
7) Personal Choice.

Last edited:

Rvacha

To me swipe support on the desktop version isn't a big deal unless they make the rest of the interface touch (so far this does not seem to be the case). If they were to make things like the favorites bar icons larger and add zoom gestures, then I might use it. As it stands I don't have a lot of reason to use the desktop version on my SP

pallentx

I had no idea there were people who liked the menus of old Windows. I know I hated them. Inexperience users hated them too. You had to know where things were - sometimes 3 levels deep, then heaven forbid your mouse slip a few pixels and close the whole tree down forcing you to start over. Not to mention trying to use them with a pen or touch interface.