What's new

Desktop Mode while using tablet

Gizmo2005

Does anyone use this setting. I want to use the tablet. But I want to see it in desktop mode. All of my business programs are on the desktop. Right now, I cannot. When I unplug from keyboard, it shows it in Windows (Metro) mode.

Thanks-

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone use this setting. I want to use the tablet. But I want to see it in desktop mode. All of my business programs are on the desktop. Right now, I cannot. When I unplug from keyboard, it shows it in Windows (Metro) mode.

Thanks-
Settings - System - Tablet mode then configure like below

upload_2018-5-25_6-21-20.png

OP
G

Gizmo2005

This is the same settings I currently have. However, when I detach the screen, it goes to Tablet Mode. How do I get it to Desktop Mode while using my tablet?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you have other issues - from an elevated CMD Prompt run:

sfc /scannow

If that doesn't help we can drive to do a DISM Online Health restore, worse case scenario you should reset the Surface Book.

OP
G

Gizmo2005

I don't want to reset it unless I know that I have the problem. So what you're saying is that you should be able to have the tablet and it would show the desktop screen?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am with JnRoach - I ALWAYS use the "Desktop Mode" and permanently disable the "Tablet Mode". Have you checked the registry? Use Win+R, then type in "Regedit" to enter editing the Registry

The .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell

TabletMode DWORD

0 = Off
1 = On

I DON'T recommend using the Registry Solution unless you are familiar with such - Make sure you backup your registry before attempting this repair. If your Registry is set to DWORD "0" and you still cannot use the desktop mode - and the "sfc /scannow" repair does not work - I again agree with JnRoach in resetting your system.