What's new

Desktop Replacement?

ccarr

Hi,

I am considering buying a surface pro 2 to mainly act as a desktop replacement but also I need it's versatility as both a tablet and laptop for on the road.
Is the SP2 powerful enough to act as a full-fledged desktop when hooked up to a docking station.

Would you recommend getting the SP2, waiting until the SP3 or buying something else altogether.

Thanks,

MickeyLittle

Sure it's plenty powerful to use as a desktop replacement and there are quite a few people here doing exactly what you are talking about.

godson594

Hi,

I am considering buying a surface pro 2 to mainly act as a desktop replacement but also I need it's versatility as both a tablet and laptop for on the road.
Is the SP2 powerful enough to act as a full-fledged desktop when hooked up to a docking station.

Would you recommend getting the SP2, waiting until the SP3 or buying something else altogether.

Thanks,

What programs will you be running, that's the only way you can get an honest answer on if it will run as a replacement.

Dim-Ize

godson is right on par. It all depends on what you will be running.

For me, it has indeed become a desktop (and laptop, and tablet, and notebook) replacement. One of the biggest things you need to consider from a desktop world is that the SP2 hardware is not upgradeable. You cannot change your mind later and add more memory or internal storage. While the SD & USB storage will allow you to increase rather easily, it ins't entirely the same thing. Moreover, you cannot swap the motherboard, add a heavy GPU, etc.

For modest gaming, the SP2 really does well, although some settings have to be managed to accommodate most recently launched, highly demanding titles.

For standard web, videos, surfing, Office work - well, you can only cook a steak so fast and the SP2 is really on par with any desktop, IMO.

OP
C

ccarr

Would you suggest using it with the Microsoft Docking Station or how would you suggest best using it as a desktop?

Dim-Ize

I don't have the dock. Looks awesome though. For me, a USB hub, mini-video port with external monitor(s), and BT keyboard / mouse is adequate. I like having my setup as i can take the accessories with me if necessary, save the display. They are small and fit easily in a bag.

If money were no object, i would probably get the dock. Seems pricey for the ROI to me, compared to achieving the same for less.

Knuck111

Would you suggest using it with the Microsoft Docking Station or how would you suggest best using it as a desktop?

Originally i bought A Surface 2 but found the Tegra processor to have a little trouble in split screen mode with certain RT programs i decided to upgrade to an 8 gb 256 SP2 and justified the added cost by not upgrading my agng Windows desktop. I currently have a 27" 2650 x 1440 IPS monitor, 3 USB hubs with 4 external hard drives, a document scanner, a photo scanner a USB keyboard dongle and external USB speakers. I use the Buffalo DDR drives as my main drives in mirror mode and they are really fast. As the new Microsoft dock isn't available yet. I plug in a USB cable, power cord and and displayport cable which only takes 2 seconds and because the Sp2 has a built-in stand I see no reason to buy the docking station. The keyboard will wake the computer in display 2 (external display) mode even from hibernation at the higher resolution. Make sure you buy a decent displayport cable if you want resolution greater than 1080p. DVI OR HDMI will not give you the higher resolution. Very rarely the SP2 screen comes on instead of the external monitor but that is an easy fix by unplugging the display port cable and plugging it back in. Not an issue for me.

As far as whether it's suitable as a desktop replacement, so far for me it is. I regularly use Photoshop, LR5, Premiere, document management software and Office 2013 and have had no problems running any of those programs. I don't play any graphic intensive games so I can't comment on that. I agree with Dim-Ize that eventually it will be outdated as the CPU, memory and Graphics chip are not upgradeable. As I am using all of the latest versions of the software I mentioned I don't have any concerns for the foreseeable future. That's what SP5s are for anyhow.

godson594

My dream would be that one day there is a docking station that houses an external/upgradable GPU and power supply that way you could hardcore game and render when sitting at a desk ;)

CrippsCorner

Yup mine's been replacing my desktop for almost a year now :) using Type Cover, Sculpt Comfort Mouse, Mini DisplayPort to HDMI for my monitor and the audio jack to RCA for audio... so far, will be changing the audio shortly.