What's new

Detach sound is so loud!

Another

So I just got this system today. While I love detaching the top half to make it into a tablet, I wince every time because that metal "CLACK" sound is so. Damn. Loud. Seriously, I'm afraid to use this feature in public. Even with all other sound muted on my laptop, for some reason this annoying thing persists

Please tell me how to turn this thing off!

G-man

I don't believe that CLACK is a system sound, rather the mechanical latches. Not much you can do about that.

OP
A

Another

I don't believe that CLACK is a system sound, rather the mechanical latches. Not much you can do about that.

No, it is a system sound. The mechanical latch is silent. Every surface book review on the internet will confirm this. Coincidentally, my machine seems to vary quite a bit in the volumes of the clicks (when "Quiet mode" is active, it's bearable. but for some unforeseen reason, quiet mode will deactivate for no reason and that bone-shattering detach click is back again)

Wayne Orwig

I too have seen a LOT of reviews that imply that it is a system sound.

It is a mechanical sound from the muscle wire slamming open latch. You can physically feel the vibration as the clamps retract.
I have verified over and over, that the sound is NOT coming from the speakers, as many reviews imply.
There is also a 'Device Disconnect' sound that is made also when the USB keyboard gets disconnected. That is passed through the audio system and can be changed if you want.

OP
A

Another

It is a mechanical sound from the muscle wire slamming open latch. You can physically feel the vibration as the clamps retract.
I have verified over and over, that the sound is NOT coming from the speakers, as many reviews imply.
There is also a 'Device Disconnect' sound that is made also when the USB keyboard gets disconnected. That is passed through the audio system and can be changed if you want.
Bizarre. Why do reviewers claim that it is a system sound?

Even more strangely, the more I use the mechanism, the quieter it gets. Maybe it needs warming up? Who knows.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface Book detach sound used to be quite loud. That was so 2015.
Now it is a pleasant click, and a prelude to productivity, using the lightweight Clipboard (actually this is the entire computer).

netuser

I have also heard most of the sound is a system sound and what you "feel" is the vibration from the clipboard shifting and maybe haptic feedback.