What's new

Device encryption

Grumpy2

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I purchased an Surface pro 3 i7/256 last Friday (Sept 19) and so far all is good except for the pen which came with the device. Although I bought this device from a retail outlet, Microsoft Australia replaced the pen, no questions asked and rather speedily as well.
Being completely new to Windows 8.1 pro (presently use Win XP and win 7) I am unfamiliar with the software and am still coming to grips with it. Now my question is: When I go into settings/PC and Devices/PC info down the bottom of the page there is a heading: Device Encryption. Under this it says in red "You need a Microsoft account to finish encrypting this device". Just below that there is a box which says "turn off". Now as I am a home user only is it safe for me to turn encryption off as, quite frankly, I am not interested in encrypting my device. This might be fine for business users but not for me. So far I have not signed in with an Microsoft Account and will not be doing so until I have received some advice from you guys who know a lot more about this than I do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wertzius

You can turn it off, there is no problem doing that if you don't need encryption. You can do this even after logging in in your Microsoft account.

OP
G

Grumpy2

You can turn it off, there is no problem doing that if you don't need encryption. You can do this even after logging in in your Microsoft account.
Thanks for that. That is what I was hopping for. Encryption is something that I am not interested in at all. I appreciate your help.

OP
G

Grumpy2

You should really create a Microsoft account. I think you're restricted from downloading from the online store without one.
I do have a Microsoft account and have registered my SPro 3 with Microsoft.
My question is: do I have to encrypt the device? I do not want to change from a local account to a Microsoft account at this stage for fear of encrypting the device. All I need to know is it safe to hit the "turn off" button so that encryption does not happen. Have used encryption in the past and it is a pain in the backside. I would prefer not the have my device encrypted.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do have a Microsoft account and have registered my SPro 3 with Microsoft.
My question is: do I have to encrypt the device? I do not want to change from a local account to a Microsoft account at this stage for fear of encrypting the device. All I need to know is it safe to hit the "turn off" button so that encryption does not happen. Have used encryption in the past and it is a pain in the backside. I would prefer not the have my device encrypted.
The encryption is completely transparent. I doubt most people even know it on. its nothing like using PGP.