What's new

Did i get a new or refurb SP3

surface4bdms

Hi all, 2nd time posting, first time is battery issues so posted on an existing thread :)

Question is that I brought brand new my SP3 in later December, only a couple of months

I have been having issues with battery, when I went to remove programs I noticed some installations dated back in October. But I brought my SP3 in December?

Now I have some concerns that I didn't get a new one and hence my very very poor battery life?

Your thoughts and feedback would be great

Thank you
upload_2015-2-9_11-32-38.png

leeshor

From what I can see they look like system files. Those will frequently have earlier dates. They would be from when the system was built.

tuchas

Only time you get a refurb, from what I've seen, is if you bought MS Complete and replaced your defective unit. Of course, the MS store told me they would be new units, but we know that's BS....

jonypx09

Only time you get a refurb, from what I've seen, is if you bought MS Complete and replaced your defective unit. Of course, the MS store told me they would be new units, but we know that's BS....

When I replaced my unit, I told the MS rep. to bring one that's from the retail packaging because I've only had my original for a few months. She told me that she can only do that if there are no more brown boxed units in stock. The units that come in brown boxes may be refurbished or brand new. I didn't want to take that risk, so I begged her to take a retail box and she finally accepted my request.

I recently went thru an advanced exchange for my i7 SP3. I did indeed receive a refurb as was evident from the imperfect paint on the chassis. I simply purchased another new SP3 from the MS store and returned the refurb haha!

Strange thing was that the refurb had a serial # beginning with 071xxx while the new one is 059xxx so I believe the refurb was from a much newer lot. Either way I preferred getting a new unit.

tuchas

I had a defective unit and I had MS complete. The sales rep was this woman who was completely clueless. It took over an hour with her dealing with my issue AND her deciding to help someone else to get this straightened out. Anyway, she brought out a brown box unit and it was DOA. I asked her if these were new and she said YES. I then asked her colleague who stated they "could be" refurbished units. So I demanded a brand new one considering the rep who sold me MS Complete stated I would receive a new unit. After escalating it to the store manager, I got the new unit.

To be honest, MS customer service is the absolute worst across the board. The stores normally are not this bad, but calling tech support and customer service never gets anything done. I can elaborate if you want, but let's just say outsourcing is not always the best thing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you take your car in for service do they give you a new one? Are the parts they use OEM or aftermarket?
If you have an accident do they give you a new car? If they fix it are the parts they use OEM or aftermarket? Do they use Bondo to fix body damage?

What constitutes fixed?

If you order a screen to replace a broken one is it the same screen or a different one? what if they said it was better and exceeded the OEM specifications?

Inquiring minds want to know...

mtalinm

I've done a number of exchanges. yes, they will try to give you the plain-brown-wrapper refurb units. always test these in the store - one time they swapped my Surface 2 for a plain-brown-wrapper and it wouldn't even turn on. got lucky last week b/c they were out of refurbs so I got a brand new one.

CrippsCorner

I feel lucky that my refurbished Surface was in absolutely perfect condition! Especially as my original didn't have a problem after all... :p