What's new

Solved Did something dumb the other day

ruinah

Have had my SP3 since it came out really and have loved every minute of it. Took a flight back for work on Monday night and fell asleep during the flight. We landed, I got up and grabbed my bag from the overhead and walked off the plane never realizing my SP3 was nice and comfy in the seatback pocket of the airplane. Was beat when I got home so I went to bed and didn't even notice until the next morning it was gone. I filed a report with the airline for lost items but I don't have much faith it turns up. They say they get 30 days to attempt to find it. It's bitlocker encrypted and I have a pretty strong password so hopefully it means if someone picked it up there isn't a lot they can do with it. I'm really bummed and now have no work machine. Have to use an old HP laptop for the time being and it's just not the same. I didn't think I would become so attached to a machine but that thing did everything I needed.

TLDR: Don't put your Surface in an airplane seatback pocket.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No fun. Fingers crossed they come through. My mother recently left an old Blackberry on a plane in Rome, and BA were very prompt in stating that they had found it and it was safe. The downside was that they would not ship it, it had to be picked up from Rome, which wasn't exactly a viable option.

BillJ

Wow, very sorry to hear of this. It reminds me how vulnerable I could be if anyone were to gain access to all the information stored on my device. On the other hand, as complex and tragic as this world has become, there are still many decent people who will do the right thing and try to get your computer back to you. Please let us know how this turns out. Best wishes.

OP
R

ruinah

thanks. I am glad I decided to encrypt the drive. In the future I think I may force myself to use a BIOS password also so I have to enter it in when I turn the device on. Most everything I do is sync'd with One Drive so it's not like I really lost anything other than the device. I agree with you that most people would find something big like that and just turn it in versus taking it themselves. I have to wait out the 30 days before I replace it though in case they find it. The airline told me that I had to do the form and I couldn't call the airport to have them look for it etc. That is their only way to track something left on a plane. Considering trying to save some cost and get a refurb SP3 versus buying a SP4 with the same specs. It's a huge dent in the wallet to buy it all over again.

Have had my SP3 since it came out really and have loved every minute of it. Took a flight back for work on Monday night and fell asleep during the flight. We landed, I got up and grabbed my bag from the overhead and walked off the plane never realizing my SP3 was nice and comfy in the seatback pocket of the airplane. Was beat when I got home so I went to bed and didn't even notice until the next morning it was gone. I filed a report with the airline for lost items but I don't have much faith it turns up. They say they get 30 days to attempt to find it. It's bitlocker encrypted and I have a pretty strong password so hopefully it means if someone picked it up there isn't a lot they can do with it. I'm really bummed and now have no work machine. Have to use an old HP laptop for the time being and it's just not the same. I didn't think I would become so attached to a machine but that thing did everything I needed.

TLDR: Don't put your Surface in an airplane seatback pocket.

Week-before-last I left my wallet in my seat on a flight (was buying wireless in the air). On the next plane a flight attendant came down the aisle, addressed me by my surname and asked "Missing something? Something important?" She then handed me my wallet all content - cards and cash - intact. Somebody liked me that day.

Hope you get lucky too.

OP
R

ruinah

Update: a week and a day later Southwest contacted me to say they indeed found my Surface and gave me a link to pay the shipping to get it back to me. It was only $25 for 2-day service by 10:30 so I will get it back tomorrow. Good on Southwest. Some people knock them because of their weird boarding and somewhat odd add campaigns sometimes but their lost and found was a holiday miracle for me. I was about ready to write the device off completely.