What's new

Did you buy the right Surface?

pallentx

Doesn't matter. The SP and the RT are both going to seem like crap compared to some of the new Haswell stuff coming out. Did anyone catch some of the upcoming Samsung offerings today? Good god.

Samsung Ativ Q - Tablets - CNET Reviews

That's cool, but the whole beauty of Windows 8 is that you don't need another mobile ecosystem to juggle. Your desktop device runs the same apps as your mobile tablet - you don't need separate environments. I could see this being useful for people who are already committed to the Android ecosystem and own a lot of apps there, but it has no appeal to me beyond being a cool technical achievement.

joga

Hi,

i had the RT first. Great battery life, nice display...

Unfortunately the current RT feels slow, so i had the feeling to miss something. I also wanted full Office and a Stylus.

When the SP came out i ordered one in the USA and shipped it to Germany. The SP is awesome. It's lightning fast, it has an awesome display and it give me the flexibility to use it in every way i want. I mostly use Apps, but i have also Office 2013, Visio 2013 and Projects 20013.

If the RT could run full Office 2013, better performance and a Stylus, then the RT would be fine for me.

Right now the SP is the better choice for me.

joga

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

kristalsoldier

Hi,

Unfortunately the current RT feels slow, so i had the feeling to miss something. I also wanted full Office and a Stylus.

When the SP came out i ordered one in the USA and shipped it to Germany. The SP is awesome. It's lightning fast, it has an awesome display and it give me the flexibility to use it in every way i want. I mostly use Apps, but i have also Office 2013, Visio 2013 and Projects 20013.

If the RT could run full Office 2013, better performance and a Stylus, then the RT would be fine for me.

joga

Apparently, it can. Take a look here: http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/surface-rt-outlook-2013-rt-more With the exception of the stylus, of course.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Hi,

joga

It's great to hear from people that have used both devices
excited.png

Afy

I have both as well, as well as both styles of Keyboard. Use them in deiffering manners. RT I more for entertainment, and Pro for work.

kristalsoldier

Just get both :) The RT is a great companion device, and you can swap keyboards between the two...

I wish I had that kind of money!!!!! But - on second thoughts - even if I did, I would probably still opt for the RT. I just find it more appealing and yes, more revolutionary (of course, I do know and appreciate the fact that some revolutions do falter and fail!).

dougpaw57

Sorry to dig up an ancient post, but I thought I would comment on buying a Surface RT after owning a Surface Pro. I looked at the Surface as soon as it came out and I bought a Pro the weekend they came out. I commented earlier in this post about picking the Pro over the RT because of the higher resolution screen. After using my Pro for six months I sold it and bought a Sony Vaio Duo 11. I just sold the Duo and bought an RT. The screen is better on the RT than I originally thought, and with the addition of Outlook in Windows 8.1, the RT does everything I need. I thought when I bought the Pro that I would need it for regular Windows programs, but I only used the Modern UI apps. The RT is so much lighter, and I get three times the battery life over the Pro.

ChemCat

Got an i7 desktop at home. Got an i7 laptop in the office. Why do I need a surface pro? Desktop apps are terrible to work with in the field. Tech journalists, aka iSheeps, don't seem to get this when they criticize the rt line.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Sorry to dig up an ancient post, but I thought I would comment on buying a Surface RT after owning a Surface Pro. I looked at the Surface as soon as it came out and I bought a Pro the weekend they came out. I commented earlier in this post about picking the Pro over the RT because of the higher resolution screen. After using my Pro for six months I sold it and bought a Sony Vaio Duo 11. I just sold the Duo and bought an RT. The screen is better on the RT than I originally thought, and with the addition of Outlook in Windows 8.1, the RT does everything I need. I thought when I bought the Pro that I would need it for regular Windows programs, but I only used the Modern UI apps. The RT is so much lighter, and I get three times the battery life over the Pro.

Must admit I reckon I could live in Modern UI about 75% of the time now... but that's still not good enough to wave goodbye to the desktop. There's always a case of 'what if' when you find an old programme you wanna run. For me, it's professional DJ software that keeps me on Pro.