What's new

Difference Between the Two Surfaces

cherrym

Thinking about giving away my xoom and purchasing a Surface. I know the RT version will not run full blown windows apps, but will the pro version run apps that run on RT.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes. The RT will run "full blown Windows apps" as well but not legacy programs. So if it is a new app or designed to run on Windows 8 it should be easily available on Pro and RT. Legacy PC apps are where the problems will lie. Of course nobody really knows the limitations until these get out in the wild. Chances are good though that developers will port a lot to RT if it starts selling well. We will just have to wait and see.

dtalexone

I thought the RT version will not run full blown Windows apps?

Surface for Windows RT will run applications written for the touch-oriented Windows RT operating system (OS). This watered-down version of Windows 8 OS will have a desktop mode, but the RT desktop will only run select apps like Internet Explorer and Office for Home and Student 2013.

If you have been excited by the possibility of running your Windows XP, Vista, or 7 applications on a 10.6 inch tablet, you need to remember that these early Surfaces are not the tablets that will allow you to run desktop applications. Partners like Samsung and Lenovo will be offering Windows 8 tablets this fall, but we do not expect Surface for Windows 8 Pro until early next year.

Microsoft Surface RT: Specs and Speculation - Inside the Surface

J515OP

Super Moderator
Microsoft has said that the structure of Windows 8 will allow easy porting of Windows 8 apps across all versions. This means RT will be able to run the same apps as Windows 8. What you mean by "full blown Windows apps" is subjective. As I stated it will not run legacy apps. That means that programs designed for Windows 7 and earlier won't be able to easily port over to Windows RT. So if you were dying to play that WWII tank simulator you have had on your Windows XP computer since you got it on a RT tablet that isn't going to happen.

Still despite what any blogs are saying at this point no body knows yet. The bottom line is nothing is out so anything you hear is just speculation. Microsoft is saying that Windows 8 apps will be easily ported to all Windows 8 variations. At that point it is in the hands of the developers. If there are enough sale and interest then anything you see made for the standard Windows 8 should be quickly ported to to Windows RT. If RT doesn't really take off then you might not see Madden 2013 ported to RT because it isn't worth the developer's time. It is a little chicken and egg (devices or apps, which comes first) and also a little bit of let's see what RT can really do.

Unless you have an overwhelming need to get an RT tablet on the first day just wait until early next year (after the Windows Pro tablets are also out) and we should know a lot more by then :)

This page might help http://www.infragistics.com/communi...e-windows-8-windows-rt-and-windows-phone.aspx.

Last edited:

evertith

There are two different architectures being used in the Surface tablets. The Surface RT uses an ARM processor (nVidia Tegra 3), while the Surface Pro uses an x86 processor (Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge). x86 has been around since the early days of Windows, thus the Surface Pro can run any application your desktop, laptop, or ultrabook can. However, the Surface RT can only run apps that have been developed to run on the ARM architecture. Since the chips speak different languages, the applications have to be able to speak that same language.

Now, with Visual Studio 2013, you can develop applications using one code base, but deploy to either x86 or ARM. And I believe you also have the option to deploy as universal, in which case, your app would be available in the Windows Store on both the RT and the Pro.

mapexvenus

What worries me is the motivation of developers to write for RT and Pro. In the same way that devs may be waiting for the device to become popular before writing for it, there are consumers waiting to see what apps will become available and are holding off purchase decisions.

mapexvenus

I also hear that the RT is not necessarily 'enterprise friendly'. What I mean by this is the inability to run real business apps (like Outlook), connect to a corporate network via VPN, etc.

Last edited:

D.T. Rose

Is there a physical outside difference between the RT and Pro? What does rt stand for?

No one really knows yet if they'll be any dynamic, physical differences between the two devices, other than a few ports being upgraded on the Pro. As for 'RT,' Wikipedia states that it doesn't necessarily stand for anything, which I have difficulty in believing.

joeaux

The problem is that about 90 percent of the information on both of these products is speculation. Microsoft has been so tight-lipped about them it's crazy. I mean even when they did the release they wouldn't let the press hold them for more than a few minutes. They couldn't even touch them without a Microsoft rep standing next to them. Crazy huh? What little we know to be true is straight from Microsoft. Rumors are that they have given a few press folks a Surface RT to use for the next few days. Supposedly the early reviews can start on Tuesday the 23. That's all speculation. But none the less, I preordered a 32Gig with Touch Cover on day one. I'll have it by the 26th. And I can't wait.
-joe-

kricke

Hey Joe,

right.

What is your signature about? Gedanken Experiment? This is German? I would put it in one word only. Gedankenexperiment. Interesting.

I hope to get mine the same day. But as you are in another time zone, your 26 is a bit later then my 26. But as I will be out of town, you will put your hands on it earlier.
So, enjoy.

Knut