Disk Imaging Application Bug on Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by mlknez, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mlknez

mlknez Member

Microsoft has affirmed to me that their Disk imaging application in the Windows 7 recovery applet on Windows 8 does not work on the Surface Pro and they are looking into fixing it. I have successfully used both Acronis True Image 2013 and DriveImage XML to do this, however. What is everyone else using to get a backup image of their surface pro?

2. vook

vook Member

I want to image mine so when I do an exchange ot will work as I have it set now. Will both those programs do that? Are either of them free?

3. mlknez

mlknez Member

Both work, Acronis is on sale with a promo code at Newegg for $20 and DriveImage XML is free. The Newegg promotion even includes an 8GB usb memory drive to boot up your surface pro from for restore!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Sure you can image the drive, but has anyone been able to successfully boot up the system with a USB device to recover the image?

5. HoHo

HoHo New Member

I am using Macrium Reflect, there is a FREE version for non-commercial use and it works great. There are 2 backup options with Reflect: (1) Clone backup which creates an exact image of the partitions to either CD/DVD or USB drives. (2) Image backup which creates compressed images of your partitions with the options to create deltas and incremental backups.

6. machistmo

machistmo Active Member

My Device:
    Other
    Good call on this one:

Added for the Lazy masses: NeweEgg Offer | Knowledge Base Code

Link to the place to add the code: Acronis True Image 2013 Software - Newegg.com

I can confirm this code works as I just ordered one for myself. I don't love the file history stuff. Would prefer this method.

7. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

Did you ever successfully boot the surface using Macrium Reflect recovery media? And if you did was it CD or USB?

8. Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie Active Member

I just tried to buy the 2nd copy but you have to buy one copy at regular price. I already have Acronis 2013 and am not going to buy another copy at $50 to get a 3rd copy for $10.

update:

I just contacted Acronis support via online chat on their website and they gave me the family pack for 3 computers for an upgrade fee of ONLY $10!!!

I have been a long time user of Acronis and already have True Image 2013 so they were very kind to me and gave me a tremendous price.
    Now I can ( legally ) install it on my laptop as well as on the Surface Pro when it comes ( supposed to be shipped from Microsoft on Mar 1 -- hopefully this year :) )

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  9. Talldog

Talldog Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I created a Macrium USB boot disk yesterday, then backed up my Pro, booted from USB and restored it. No problems. I was using the standard trial version though, not the free.