What's new

Solved Display brightness SP3. after Windows 10 upgrade

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may be wrong here but I think that since I upgraded to win 10 the display on my SP3 seems dimmer than before. Where I used to set it at around 35% for comfortable use in normal indoor lighting I now have to set it at 50%.

Anyone else noticed this? Is the display brightness curve different in Win 10 than win 8?

Gary Dietz

My SP3 will change brightness while I am using it own its own.It will get brighter and dimmer every 5 minutes or so regardless of using battery or plug in

Gary

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check your "Battery Saver" toggle switch on Settings, System. The display is dimmed when the battery is low, unless the battery saver is switched off. (Of course, if the dimming issue is happening even while connected to mains power, then this is not the solution.)

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
No battery save makes it even dimmer...

Crappy pic but you can see below the Surface which is on 100% brightness in front of my work AOC monitor which is at 75% brightness (screen control setting). You might recognise the background... Obvously the camera has played tricks with the colour balance between the two displays but the SP3 just doesn't look as bright. I'm sure it was brighter before!! I NEVER used it at 100% indoors only when out in sunlight.

WP_20151216_12_36_16_Pro.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may be wrong here but I think that since I upgraded to win 10 the display on my SP3 seems dimmer than before. Where I used to set it at around 35% for comfortable use in normal indoor lighting I now have to set it at 50%.

Anyone else noticed this? Is the display brightness curve different in Win 10 than win 8?
I think you are right... brightness or contrast something is different. I suppose there's a registry setting somewhere that was "improved" for W10 defaults. ;)

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
DOH DOH DOH...

ha ha... oops I'm a numpty. Despite asking the former poster if his Surface was on Auto brightness I didn't check mine. I never have mine on auto... or so I thought....

Ramped right back up there now!!

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: