What's new

Display Driver Crashing

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel stupid but I can't figure out how to get to the command line in Win10 in order to try the regedit. Just spent 15 minutes looking around and clicking on icons that have no pop-up explanation when I hover the cursor over them.

It must be Microsoft's way of telling me I'm too stupid to edit my registry, LOL!
Three ways...
1. Just type regedit in he search box... then launch it from the list
2. Right click or Press and Hold the Start button and select Run from the popup menu...
3. Right click or Press and Hold the Start button and select Command Prompt (admin) from the popup menu...
You can pin the command prompt to he task bar for convenience

leo43

I have two: M3, and i5 8GB, and they are both crashing when trying to use Autodesk 123D software.

robertcan

I'm using Firefox now. Less crashes but its happened using IE, Edge and FF and it's happened on a variety of websites.

I had a Surface 3 and was experiencing these same display-driver crashes as soon as I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. I had forgotten about this issue until I got my Surface Pro 4 and started having the same issue. I immediately remembered what I did on my S3: I simply went into Edge settings and turned off Adobe Flash. On the S3, I never had the issue again after that. So I did that yesterday on my Pro 4 to test the hypothesis. Again, since that time, I've had no driver crashes.

yonghong

I quit using Edge two days ago, Strictly IE with AD blocking enabled via the Tracking Protection add-ins.
It happens at other times as well, not just on this site, but I spend a lot of time here so naturally the odds are stacked.
ADs are murder on Edge, completely unusable to me.
Can edge save battery ?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can edge save battery ?
Honestly I don't know, in a controlled lab test it might, in the real world I don't see how.
The answer to that should be yes it could however, in it's current state without an AD blocker, no because all the ADs are burning huge amounts of resources.

Frankly the Internet is broken. The AD industry admitted they screwed up but as yet haven't done a stinking thing to correct their sins or reign themselves in. I assume they feel issuing an apology is enough and intend to continue on as they have.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a Surface 3 and was experiencing these same display-driver crashes as soon as I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. I had forgotten about this issue until I got my Surface Pro 4 and started having the same issue. I immediately remembered what I did on my S3: I simply went into Edge settings and turned off Adobe Flash. On the S3, I never had the issue again after that. So I did that yesterday on my Pro 4 to test the hypothesis. Again, since that time, I've had no driver crashes.
There is definitely something to this. The link that creates the repeating crash doesnt cause a crash with Flash disabled. Even so, it shouldn't be crashing with Flash enabled.

Not sure how or if that would affect Autodesk, I hope Autodesk doesn't use Flash. :)

leeshor

I think you're on to something. There are 2 versions of Flash Player, one for ActiveX, (IE and I suppose also Edge) and the other for non Microsoft browsers. I quite using Edge after the first 2 or 3 times I ran it, then turned off its background task.

BUT I have been using Firefox and have yet to install the non ActiveX Flash so essentially I'm not using Flash at all. That may explain why I haven't had one crash, not one. The only entries in my reliability report are from the first day I had my SP4 on.

macster

That would (at least partially) explain why I haven't had one crash yet. I'm using Firefox with AdblockPlus and don't even see those except on a few sites white listed.

Yes

BTW, if this stumbles use "AD block lite" set to full.

M~