What's new

Display Driver Crashing

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm confused by what I'm reading. The 11/10 update (KB3105213) did not include any obvious display driver-related items. My display driver is the same version (20.19.15.4308) and date (10/27/2015) as it was before the update. And since the update, things are no better for me and, in some cases, worse in that I'm seeing VIDEO_SCHEDULE_INTERNAL_ERROR blue screens, now, which I never saw, before.

I'm not saying the update caused new issues or that it didn't improve things for some people, but I don't see that this update updated the display driver nor do I see it changing things for the better in my case. So I don't think it's "the fix" that everybody has been waiting for.

I heard, on a Microsoft site, that there would be a "larger update" on Thursday this week that would be more than "just typical fixes." Not sure what that means nor do I know if it will really happen. Just reporting the news. I'll try to find a link to that statement, but don't have it handy. Maybe tomorrow will tell if there is any point believing such rumors in any event.

(I wrote this using Edge. When I was here, yesterday, with Firefox, I got blue screens three times and had to stop coming to this site with it. Not sure I'll go back to that until I get another update that seems to deal with the display driver or related items.)
On TH2 (1511) There were 4 updates:

Flash for IE
Cumulative Update for 1511
Defender Update
System Hardware Update 11/2/2015 (which re-installed the Video Driver after applying the Cumulative Update).

bsnguy

On TH2 (1511) There were 4 updates:

Flash for IE
Cumulative Update for 1511
Defender Update
System Hardware Update 11/2/2015 (which re-installed the Video Driver after applying the Cumulative Update).

OK, I get it now. We are talking about different things. I have all of that plus the new updates from yesterday (KB3105213, KB890830, KB3103688 and KB2267602 which are cumulative updates, software removal tool, flash for IE and defender). The system hardware update from 11/2 was installed on my system on 11/3 and I do see that it reinstalled the display driver, but my issues persist, as noted.

Not sure if it's my imagination, but prior to the update, I had issues with Edge on Facebook.com (If I tried typing replies too fast, words would disappear). It seems that this update has corrected that bug. I've just turned Flash back on. I'm hoping I find that I no longer experience crashes with Flash enabled.

EMINENT

I guess I'm confused by what I'm reading. The 11/10 update (KB3105213) did not include any obvious display driver-related items. My display driver is the same version (20.19.15.4308) and date (10/27/2015) as it was before the update. And since the update, things are no better for me and, in some cases, worse in that I'm seeing VIDEO_SCHEDULE_INTERNAL_ERROR blue screens, now, which I never saw, before.

I'm not saying the update caused new issues or that it didn't improve things for some people, but I don't see that this update updated the display driver nor do I see it changing things for the better in my case. So I don't think it's "the fix" that everybody has been waiting for.

I heard, on a Microsoft site, that there would be a "larger update" on Thursday this week that would be more than "just typical fixes." Not sure what that means nor do I know if it will really happen. Just reporting the news. I'll try to find a link to that statement, but don't have it handy. Maybe tomorrow will tell if there is any point believing such rumors in any event.

(I wrote this using Edge. When I was here, yesterday, with Firefox, I got blue screens three times and had to stop coming to this site with it. Not sure I'll go back to that until I get another update that seems to deal with the display driver or related items.)

That's pretty serious. I've never had a blue screen yet. You might have a hardware defect if this is happening multiple times. I'd recommend a reset and if all else fails, a replacement may be in order. I have no such issues. It's working pretty flawlessly so far. Very pleased.

robertcan

Display driver crashes have ended for me since this Tuesday update. Still having unresponsive touch screen issues but it seems yesterdays update is a step in the right direction.

leeshor

There must be a clue here somewhere and I'm guessing it's one of my add-ons as my Firefox has not crashed once scrolling. In fact, the 28th, the first day I had my SP4, is the only crash I've had, any kind.

Last edited:

fansurface

Everyone, you may want to avoid Edge, and use Firefox and IE. Both IE and Firefox allow disabling hardware acceleration, which has drastically cut back the graphic card crashes and issues I've had even after updating Windows and the firmware.

jbowden

i am on my second SP4. Both have display driver crashes. I can reproduce it at will, and it happens every time. I am planning to return this one today.