What's new

Display Driver Crashing

Carolv

My display problem seems to be different from others that have posted. I get flickering lines on the top 1/2" of the display. If that was the only problem I could live with it til a fix comes in. But when I try to open anything, app, word, excel, web, etc. it is transparent and I can see through to the screen underneath. This makes it just about impossible to read. At first this would last for a few minutes. But now it seems to be constant. I did a complete reset the other day to see if that would fix it but no luck. If the update today doesn't work, I'll be exchanging mine.

Question. When I exchange it does anyone know if they will wipe it in front of me. I don't want to delete what programs I have on there so they can see what is happening.

robertcan

I spoke too soon. Just had another display driver crash, right here on this site. So much for thinking and posting that the Tuesday update resolved the issue. It hasn't. Pay no attention to my posts. Apparently, I'm hallucinating or at least hoping these updates are actually improving my SP4 when reality says otherwise. :(

I spoke too soon. Just had another display driver crash, right here on this site. So much for thinking and posting that the Tuesday update resolved the issue. It hasn't. Pay no attention to my posts. Apparently, I'm hallucinating or at least hoping these updates are actually improving my SP4 when reality says otherwise. :(
Same here. Several crashes today--but always on Edge. I'm in the process now of transferring my bookmarks to Chrome, which I'll be using until this gets fixed.

surface15

I have blocked all Firmware and Windows updates on Win10 Pro on my Core m SP4. In 10 days , 12 hrs a day, I have never had a single display driver crash.

Then, I installed Win8.1 in a dual boot config. I allowed the Windows update to load the Intel HD515 driver (since the Staqndard Display driver was not allowing me to change brightness). In 2 days I have had 7 display driver crashes.......

Just writing this in case it's a sign of a Windows update driver issue...

fishmd

Hey all I am new to the Surface line as I finally liked what Microsoft did with the Surface Pro 4 enough to buy it. I am having these failings as well. Have had it here on this site as well as on other sites. T Mobile site does it to me often for example. I updated to the latest updates tonight and still have gotten the crashing video driver. Really hope this is something that can be fixed soon. It is supper annoying.

jbowden

I fixed my firefox display driver crashes. In Firefox, open menu, options, advanced, In Browsing - un-check use hardware acceleration when available. Also, I am not getting the popping anymore as well.

fansurface

I fixed my firefox display driver crashes. In Firefox, open menu, options, advanced, In Browsing - un-check use hardware acceleration when available. Also, I am not getting the popping anymore as well.
Thank you glad to see my suggestion is not completely falling on deaf ears. Just for those who missed my suggestion last page, this fix also works in IE. I really don't get the point of using Chrome, a battery and CPU hog, over IE which is better for battery life and has access to settings sync.

jbowden

Thank you glad to see my suggestion is not completely falling on deaf ears. Just for those who missed my suggestion last page, this fix also works in IE. I really don't get the point of using Chrome, a battery and CPU hog, over IE which is better for battery life and has access to settings sync.

Thank you for the suggestion. This has make a huge difference in Browsing experience on the SP4!!!

Omni

I have had one crash while using Edge. Its so quick though Id barely know anything had happened unless the message came up. Needs sorting though Microsoft.

Because to me, the ability to pin Chrome apps to your Start Menu / Screen makes it seem as though this browser is almost designed for Windows 10. And considering I never use my Surface away from power for more than 6 hours anyway (and 6 hours was the most I've ever gotten from a laptop), the battery-drain issue is not an issue at all for me.

I have had one crash while using Edge. Its so quick though Id barely know anything had happened unless the message came up. Needs sorting though Microsoft.
I think this is a good point. The most annoying part of the crashes is the message saying it crashed and recovered. If they would just eliminate this, it would be a huge improvement. (What's the point anyway? It's like someone who makes a right turn in his car and THEN turns on his right-turn signal.)