DisplayPort issue

Discussion in 'Surface 3 (Atom)' started by matro, Jan 6, 2017.

1. matro

matro New Member

Yesterday I noticed the DisplayPort of my Surface 3 is no longer working properly: I've tried with two different mDP-DP adapters and three external monitors, both with HDMI and VGA, with same results: as soon as I connect the mDP cable I can hear the new device notification sound, the Display Settings shows two monitors, but if I press 'Identity' both '1' and '2' are shown in tablet's display, pressing 'Detect' shows 'Didn't detect another display', and no output on external monitor.

I'm sure I was able to use external monitors some months ago, but I didn't try anymore until yesterday.

Windows 10 has got all the updates so far (up to KB3206632 December 2016), Intel HD Graphics driver version is 20.19.15.4424.

Is anyone experiencing the same?

Thank you.

2. martinn1209

martinn1209 New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Had the same type of issue with my SP4 a couple of months ago. I supposed it is a physical issue (how often can you connect to these tiny ports? 100x, 1000x?) and used wireless display adapter since. Less quality, hope they get beter equipment over time...

3. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

I've never had a problem other than the plug in, unplug, plug in issue that they sometimes have in order to detect the display correctly. I've not used a second screen with !Y s3 in a long long time, and I'm also on the fast track insider programme, but I'll plug my Dell ultra wide into it tomorrow at some point t and let you know how it goes.

4. matro

matro New Member

thank you hughlle, let me know... the issue really seems related to the graphic driver.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Try to find the official HDMI to mDP adapter and see if it works better....

6. matro

matro New Member

I just tried with latest January 2017 cumulative update KB3213986 with no luck, the issue is still there.

7. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, work...

I've just plugged in my dell ultrwide via mDP->mDP and it worked instantly without an issue.

For reference I am on windows build 14986 (insider build) and my graphics driver is the same as yours, 20.19.15.4424

8. matro

matro New Member

thank you for the test, @hughlle. at this point I should try a reset and see how it goes.