What's new

DisplayPort monitor not extending on Surface Pro 2

ctrlbrk

Hi guys, I have a Surface Pro 2 that I am quite happy with. Today I wanted to attach my new 30" LED monitor to it via a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

However, when I do Win+P or the old method to extend the monitor, it gives me a "VGA" device instead of the Intel HD card, and the resolution is limited to 1280x720. Even then, it doesn't work (monitor never shows anything). The monitor is known good.

Before attaching the monitor:

04.04.2014-15.39.png

After attaching the monitor and doing Win+P extend:

04.04.2014-15.41.png

What am I missing? The monitor is a Monoprice 30" IPS LED, 2560x1600, linked here:

30" IPS LED Backlit LCD Panel WQXGA 2560x1600 Dual Link DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA w/Adjustable stand -Matte / Anti-Glare - Monoprice.com

Thanks.

OP
C

ctrlbrk

No one? That can't be good.

I looked at other threads here on similar issues, but none seem to match mine. Google was also of no help. Anyone have a suggestion?

Do you have another cable to test with?

Others have resolved different issues with either an older graphics driver, or one direct from Intel. I have no experience with that - hopefully someone more useful comes along :)

mtalinm

Last week's update broke something related to DP monitors. Mine stopped working immediately after the update, and MSFT support only suggests that we reinstall windows.

OP
C

ctrlbrk

Last week's update broke something related to DP monitors. Mine stopped working immediately after the update, and MSFT support only suggests that we reinstall windows.

When you say stopped working, you get the same symptoms as me? It shows up as a VGA device with 1280x720 resolution that is locked and cannot be changed, and the monitor is just blank (black) no picture?

OP
C

ctrlbrk

Can anyone offer a work around? I really need this to work immediately, but reinstalling Windows is not a viable solution. Will the DisplayPort work if I use a mini-DP to HDMI converter and then HDMI to my monitor? I realize it won't support the 2560x1600 resolution, but I really need the second monitor working ASAP.

GoodBytes

DisplayPort is backward compatible to HDMI and single link DVI.
HDMI and single link DVI max resolution is: 1920x1200 at 60Hz.
You can find mini DisplayPort to HDMI cables.

Sorry I can help you further. Beside the fact that I don't have a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort for my monitor yet (busy with school. Will get one in summer). But my monitor is resolution is 1920x1200.

jimkraz

I have a Surface Pro and use a display port adaptor to HDMI and a good quality HDMI cable, I tried cheaper stuff from Amazon, no good, paid about twenty pounds for Adaptor and HDMI cable, worth it in the end, I have no problems connecting to my 27" monitor. Jim

mtalinm

Ok so I finally fixed this. Wiping my drive and reinstalling windows did not help - don't bother doing that.

What finally worked was to get the drivers for my monitor and install them. But even that did not work until I power cycled the monitors by pulling out the pull and leaving it for a minute.

Hi guys, I have a Surface Pro 2 that I am quite happy with. Today I wanted to attach my new 30" LED monitor to it via a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

However, when I do Win+P or the old method to extend the monitor, it gives me a "VGA" device instead of the Intel HD card, and the resolution is limited to 1280x720. Even then, it doesn't work (monitor never shows anything). The monitor is known good.

Before attaching the monitor:

04.04.2014-15.39.png

After attaching the monitor and doing Win+P extend:

04.04.2014-15.41.png

What am I missing? The monitor is a Monoprice 30" IPS LED, 2560x1600, linked here:

30" IPS LED Backlit LCD Panel WQXGA 2560x1600 Dual Link DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA w/Adjustable stand -Matte / Anti-Glare - Monoprice.com

Thanks.

Arizona Willie

I have the original Surface Pro 128 GB and I cannot get an external screen to work.
I am trying to use my ASUS 24" monitor for projecting the Surface to and with Chromecast I could get it to work but the 1 second ( or more ) delay made it unusable.
I bought a genuine adapter from the port to a HDMI cable but when I try to set it up it says it can't detect another monitor.
The HDMI cable I am using is an Amazon high speed HDMI with Ethernet cable. Is this the wrong kind of cable?

I see someone had to install the drivers for their monitor. Would that cause confusion with the tablet's display drivers?
Do I need to install drivers for my monitor in order for the Surface to recognize it?

Last edited:
OP
C

ctrlbrk

Ok so I finally fixed this. Wiping my drive and reinstalling windows did not help - don't bother doing that.

What finally worked was to get the drivers for my monitor and install them. But even that did not work until I power cycled the monitors by pulling out the pull and leaving it for a minute.

Thanks. I've asked Monoprice to provide me the monitor driver INI/INF setup file. I am concerned they won't have it or won't know what I'm taking about, hoping that is not the case as this is "manufactured" by them.

mtalinm

update: the monitors sometimes blank out even though I've updated the driver.

unplugging them, waiting a minute, and plugging them back in seems to fix the problem. go figure.