What's new

DNS issues

julie46

hi, can anyone tell me why I keep getting the message "the DNS server is not responding" when I try to get to a website through my wifi internet connection on the spro 3? I've DNS flushed twice. End of my patience. Any help gratefully received!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
DNS would normally be set automatically by your router to the ISPs specified settings. often they will set clients to the router address (192.168.0.1) and the router relays to the ISP DNS. Rebooting your router may help.

OR
Try setting your DNS servers to something on this list.
A List of Free and Public DNS Servers

Hard.Wired

One fix I have found is to delete unused "known networks" under Settings / Network & Internet / Wi-Fi / Manage known networks, then do a Restart. If that doesn't work, you may need to check the DNS settings for each known network / connection. If nothing looks wrong there, then you may have to delete the bad networks as well, Restart the system and connect from scratch. I've found this corruption happens after connecting to poorly configured hotspots/routers (truly avoid public/random Wi-Fi if at all possible).

If none of that works, run the Network Troubleshooter.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Does this happen with ALL websites, or one specifically.

In Adapter Options, make sure you check : Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically.
If you have been using your Surface within a typical corporate LAN, the DNS may be set to a static address. You must change that when working outside that environment.

Let us know ...

Screenshot (4).png