What's new

Do i need a Window Installer for Surface pro 3

Leonard

Hi Everyone as mentioned. I just got my surface pro 3 and so do i need a get a separate window installer for it?
Should i start downloading and install Acronis for backup?

Thank you

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I'm not certain about your reference to an installer. The programs you may need have their own. I would suggest installing all the updates after a good charging of your Surface. As for backing up you have a lot of options not the least of which is Windows own imaging backup. Acronis will work as will the free version of Macrium Reflect. There are several threads that cover backing up on the forum.

TPadden

I was wondering the same. I know Anderson and Pella need Window installers but I'm unclear what the OP meant by this.
Since he mentioned Acronis, I think he is talking about a disk/ system imager. I know going back and forth with 8.1 (without dual booting), Technical Preview, and in particular disk images with builds 9841 and 9860 is driving me crazy.

OP
L

Leonard

Apology if it was unclear. What i meant was:-
1) Do i need to buy a window installer disc for clean installation?
2) would it be prefer to have a disk imager like Acronis or Macrium Reflect?

I read that many preferred Acronis but the 2015 ver isn't that stable.

kristalsoldier

You mean like to reinstall the OS from scratch? If yes, then all you have to do is reset the SP3 which will reset the device to its factory settings. You will find this in PC Settings>Update and recovery>Recovery> you will see three options...the second one will set your SP3 back to factory setting.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

You do not need to buy a Windows disk for installation. If you needed one you can download an image and burn it to DVD or put on USB.

For the purposes of recovery you don't need anything else.

You can easily copy all your files to USB HDD with explorer or Windows backup.

If you want separate backups or images with the most flexibility and ease of use then you might be interested in another product however they are not always as easy as they may lead you to believe. The key to any of this is knowing the right steps to take in the situation. especially if you need to boot to a recovery disk because of changes with secure boot and UEFI bios products may have different requirements. YMMV.

OP
L

Leonard

Hey GreyFox7 so for safety reason should i get a Acronis for that? Macrium Reflect. is not free right?