What's new

Solved Do or don't remove screen protector

Plantje

I have protected my Surface 3 with the Microsoft tempered glass screen protector. It was quite stressing to put it on, but now I see what seems to be a small piece of dust. I am in doubt whether or not to remove the cover (just lift it a little bit) and try to remove the dust with sticky tape. I can only hope I don't make it worse. A Surface 3 is not the most expensive one, but still the screen protector costs about € 35,- as well!

Any suggestions? Experience?

pathanham

I removed mine 3 times, two times to remove a small speck of dust that I did not notice and the 3rd time to perfectly align the protector to the screen. The specks of dust were stuck to the protector and I used the original adhesive dust remover that came with my Surface 3. I gently touched the adhesive remover to the sticky side of the screen protector. I was hesitant to do it, but I knew that I would be forever annoyed by the three or four specks of dust under the screen protector. I am glad that I did it. I am pleased with the results.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I tried to remove it, but upon lifting it I saw that it was doing more bad than good. So I think I'll just live with it. It is hardly visible (and I am very precise in those matters :) )

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Removing is safest when the device is very warm. Provide external power to the device and let it warm up, preferably also in bright sunshine on a warm day. The adhesive (usually silicone) becomes much more pliable. Remove very slowly, allowing stresses to equilibrate during the process.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

It is really hard to find a completely dust free environment! Maybe in the longer run I'll give it another try, for now I leave it. I didn't see it after applying the protector, so I am still a little bit in doubt if it is really a peck of dust.