What's new

Do you see having more than one charger a waste of money?

CrippsCorner

It's a good idea but mine rarely leaves the house lol. Why do people carry one in the bag if they already have one at home and one at work? Seems like the whole point of doing so would be so you don't have to carry one with you!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a good idea but mine rarely leaves the house lol. Why do people carry one in the bag if they already have one at home and one at work? Seems like the whole point of doing so would be so you don't have to carry one with you!
Because some trips are not planned far in advance and if you forget to put one in your bag you have a problem. If there's always one in your bag you have one less thing to take care of in a rush. Even for trips planned in advance you can forget, it's better as part of an organized system. :)

brice

I wouldn't mind buying an extra charger if they made one with an Ethernet port and the USB port that actually acted as a 2nd USB3 port for the Surface. That would eliminate the need to buy the docking station for me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id have no use for 2 chargers, the charger is small enough not to be an issue with regard to putting it in a bag, but i wouldnt complain about also having the charger built into the dock.

chanson

I have the dock next to my bed for charging at night. I keep the wall charger that came with the surface in my TimBuk2 bag in case I need to juice up during the day (rarely happens.)

tarrant64

I had to think about it for a bit - I had 2 with my SP2. One that was plugged in full time on my desk and another that was in my bag. Problem I had was I would forget to put it back in my bag sometimes.

So since I've upgraded to the SP3, I now have the dock full time on my desk, and 2 additional adapters (one full time at work, and another for my bag). Just had to suck up the extra cost.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Different perspective. It's not a waste of money until you have 10 or 20 different devices that all have a charger or power brick and each one has different connectors and capacities and you end up with 40 different power bricks that all look pretty much the same. :)

ptrkhh

Different perspective. It's not a waste of money until you have 10 or 20 different devices that all have a charger or power brick and each one has different connectors and capacities and you end up with 40 different power bricks that all look pretty much the same. :)
I hope USB Type-C could universalize (is that even a word?) the charging ports for tablets and laptops like how microUSB did the same for phones.
Maybe we need EU to step in again...

Ford Prefect

I hope USB Type-C could universalize (is that even a word?) the charging ports for tablets and laptops like how microUSB did the same for phones.
Maybe we need EU to step in again...

Can you imagine if it became normal to just have USB power socket built into the wall outlet right next to the AC power.

That would be liberating in many ways.

ptrkhh

Can you imagine if it became normal to just have USB power socket built into the wall outlet right next to the AC power.

That would be liberating in many ways.
What if the USB ports on the wall outlets could also act as an USB hub. Beside charging, we can use the USB wall sockets to extend our one-USB-port Surface in a pinch.

Dude, we got a million dollar idea. Lets patent it! lol