What's new

Do you use Metro or Desktop?

Do you use metro or desktop

• Total voters

raqball

I see most people who post here (with screenshots at least) are using the SP3 in desktop mode.

Which do you use?

I like the metro screen myself and only use desktop when I need to run a program that is desktop specific.

annabanana

At first I didn't like metro so much and used desktop most of the time, but now I use metro nearly all the time.

unruledboy

as a developer, I use win 8.1 pro desktop most of the time, with my thinkpad t440p.

with sp3, my family will use it for most of the time, most likely modern UI.

so it really depends on the type of the user.

wynand32

Since getting used to using modern IE 11, I've been spending most of my time on the SP3 in modern. The only time I switch to the desktop is when I'm managing files (I just can't get used to the modern file manager), using Office 2013 (which is actually seldom on the SP3), or when I simply have to use Chrome for some reason (e.g., sending pages to my Kindle).

I use the desktop about 50% of the time on my desktop machine (no pun intended), because of video editing, much higher Office use, and Quicken. Even there, though, I use a fair number of modern apps, including modern IE. Once I got used to using modern apps, I just liked their functionality more than I expected, and so if there's a modern version, I tend to use it.

Windows 8.1 has really gotten a bad rap IMO. It's much better than it's given credit for.

benjitek

Desktop for me. I like the Modern OS, I think it's well designed -- but much of what I use are desktop oriented. Outlook... MS Publisher... Quicken... Quickbooks... iTunes... JRiver Media Center... ZoomPlayer... Evernote Desktop (the Modern UI version is terrible, but getting better). One thing I've noticed about the Modern UI is that switching between apps is more involved, you don't get a clear visual of everything you've got going on -- though now that the taskbar pops up while your in Modern, that helps -- but then again, that's desktop.

From what I've read, and the screen shots I've seen -- I think Windows 9, along with a touch version of Office, will make it a lot easier and transparent to work in either. With luck, Intuit will start to roll out some touch versions of their software -- Quicken 2015 will be out soon, fingers crossed ;-)

startmenu-win9-100360568-orig.png

kristalsoldier

Well...I like IE on the MUI side, which is what I use. It's almost like I use the desktop IE as a "settings" center to calibrate :D I also use some apps - like Flipboard, some of the Bing apps, a few reading apps etc. - on the MUI side. I go to the Desktop when I use Office and some apps (feels odd calling what I used to call programs apps) that do not (and will probably never will) have MUI versions.

I use the Metro IE - better for touch - other than that, I can't stand Metro and its candy-bar appearance and lack of customizability - feels very much like an Apple ecosystem. Accordingly, my Metro Start screen consists of a wallpaper and no apps.

mitchellvii

It seems with Metro that everything takes an extra step. Hate extra steps. Also, I'm a menu guy, not a (pointlessly) animated giant icon guy. Metro feels like it was designed for those attracted to bright shiny things and not professionals in a hurry to get things done. I mean Metro is fine on a phone or small tablet where desktop makes no sense, but on a 12 slab? Desktop. YMMV.

Geneo

I'd be a Metro guy except for 3 things:
1- IE. One loads addons (like my LastPass), the other doesn't. It's like there's 2 separate IE's- for no reason. (Fix that MS, or at least give us the option to load addons with the Metro IE!) I also dislike how the Metro version handles Favorites. You have to click on the right side to bring up Favorites, then on the left side to select them. Using the menu on the desktop version is easier and faster, especially if you have a long list. (Hey, I'm lazy. What can I say?)
2- You end up at the desktop anyway. Major flaw here. It's ok that there 2 different ways to view/start programs (desktop and Start). The option to choose is niece. But let us decide which one we'd like to use as our default UI, please. If you open a program with Start, it should take you back to Start when you quit, not the desktop.
3- Mail. I know, I could find the mail exe and put a shortcut on my desktop, but for now I have to go to Start to check my email. But I shouldn't have to. Luckily, I have mouse with a Windows button and I can switch instantly between desktop and Start. But I'd rather work with one UI than have to switch back and forth. Come on, MS, I'm too old to switch mindsets midstream.

ctitanic

I see most people who post here (with screenshots at least) are using the SP3 in desktop mode.

Which do you use?

I like the metro screen myself and only use desktop when I need to run a program that is desktop specific.
No exactly, what happen is that there are more tools and easier to use to capture screen shots in desktop mode than in MUI.

mitchellvii

Metro to me feels like MS trying to change my behavior by removing options and ramming a new paradigm down my throat rather than listening to me and building the interface I want.