What's new

Docking availability

palain90

Hello,

Out of USA has somebody any information about the Docking Station availability: I was cancelled an order pending in 'fnac.com', I checked microsoft store for France: nothing, the product is not anymore listed, I went to the microsoft german store and to the bristish one: the same.
Apparently the product is only available in USA!
Bye
Alain

CrippsCorner

I tweeted the Surface team yesterday and got a reply saying it's definitely coming to the UK but still haven't got a date...

I really hope they come to the UK soon :(

I could really use one for when I start university in September, would be great to complete a bit more of my Surface kit (did find a good priced US wireless adapter but not sure I have a need for it yet...) in time for what will be a very productive period of my life.

kristalsoldier

I tweeted the Surface team yesterday and got a reply saying it's definitely coming to the UK but still haven't got a date...

These MS folk are crazy! Why don't they at least have a release date for the UK? Its not like UK is a marginal market for them!

OP
P

palain90

I agree it is crazy they don't give at least a date, whatever is the country!
I had been told that they are overloaded by the success?

Korlon

the culture of secrecy at MS is understandable, but it goes much, much too far. release dates for products released elsewhere must be made available, it's a part of communicating to its customer base, a way to establish deadlines with the public and display a sense of accountability to those willing to spend so much on a product.

I waited months for that damned power cover, not a word about its release other than a vague 'early 2014'. in my case however I am happy it worked out that way. during that waiting period I completely lost interest in the $200 keyboard and instead opted for a $100 external battery. I have a type cover 2 anyways, why would I want another for double the price of the next best available option?

Anyways, imho MS has to do a better job of communicating to the consumers. Play the 'rumour mill' game a bit, generate buzz and excitement. remember when the iPhone 4 was 'accidentally' left behind at a diner during its experimental stage? For the love of god MS, have some FUN with it at least.

OP
P

palain90

Pushing again to Microsoft Store France fellows (which are not really belonging to MS but to a contracted company) I had been told that the docking for SP2 will never be made available again anymore in EU. I was also told that the product sooner or later will disappear even in USA. True or not is a ? but I would believe it.
Strange commercial approach!

Korlon

Now that they are releasing the sp3 there will be no need for it as it cannot accommodate the 12 inch screen. Your best bet is to look on eBay or look for a used one somewhere. I am positive there will be quite a few people selling their sp2 and accessories so they can buy the sp3. Good news is you'll probably find it for less than the incredibly ridiculous price they had on it new.

Bon chance.

phantom93

I just bought a dock for my Surface 2 pro today, they had 7 of them in the store. $200 covered in an inch of dust, obviously they had been sitting there for a long time. The surface 3 may be out and its way cooler that it is lighter and thinner but I don't see droves of people upgrading from a surface 2 to surface 3. they aren't cheep. I am in Los Angeles, apparently getting these docks else where is a nightmare.

I am disappointed the lack of thought behind the design, could they not include a HDMI/dvi/vga port on it.? how about a built-in sd card reader. It is $200.
Overall I am happy I have a dock, it saves me time from having to connect a crap load of wires, still disappointed MS is not stepping up and showing off its creative genius a bit more.

Tsurugaya

Especially considering its size, there is plenty of room for card reader and at least one of the USB 2 ports should have been USB 3.

OP
P

palain90

Finally I got mine buying it in USA through eBay, overall I am happy as phantom93 for not to connect a lot of wires but I share also the point of views on USB3, SD Card and displays connectors lack!