Docking Station and USB 3 hub? What works?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by Donald, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Donald

Donald New Member

I have a SP 2 512 with the Microsoft Docking Station.

Has anyone had a USB 3 hub work when attached to the USB 3 port on the Microsoft Docking Station?

Of the 3 I have tried so far - none will power up a USB 3 video adapter (whether VGA or Display Port or HDMI).

I can get USB 2 video adapters to work when connected to USB 2 slots (either on the actual dock itself or on the hub if it has USB 2 slots). But not USB 3.

I am using the dock with 3 external monitors (1 is the mini-Display Port to Display Port on the dock); and I need to connect to the other 2 monitors with an external device.

After buying and returning the Plugable and StarTech USB 3 external video cards - I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the Microsoft dock - and the connection to the external USB 3 hub through it. (I have tested this on 3 docks with 3 sets of monitors and multiple cables).

Thought I would ask collective thought on if anyone else was having a problem using a USB 3 external hub with the Microsoft dock AND USB 3 connections on that external USB 3 hub.

2. kozak79

kozak79 Active Member

Not sure if this helps you, but you can daisy chain display port monitors, although your resolution will be limited to the max supported by the intel HD 4400 chip across all monitors.

If it's a power issue, you might need a powered USB 3 Hub, like these: Amazon.com: powered usb3 hub: Electronics