What's new

Docking Station causing external display issue (Surface Pro 2)

logan1323

We have several Surface Pro 2's deployed at my company that all use docking stations. Every so often, and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it, the external monitors hooked up to the dock will lose all display capabilities.

I've tried restarting the surface, checking the wires, and running windows updates and made sure all drivers were up to date and current. (Example of one that happened the other day was that one monitor still worked but the other would not. I would go into the Screen Resolution dialogue box and try turning the screen back on but after applying the settings the screen would automatically turn back off. )

The only thing I found to fix the problem is undocking the Surface, unplugging power from the dock, plug the power back in and then re-dock the device. After following these steps the monitors will work fine again.

Like I said, this is an intermittent issue and is hard to replicate but was wondering if this was a known problem or if there is any known fix for it out there??

Thanks in advance for the help.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id hazard a guess that the Surface Pro line has a random Registry corruption issue. Assuming all configuration info is kept in the Registry and from various reports of similar display problems and other random problems frequently occurring after Windows Updates, causing the need for troubleshooting, fixing, and numerous "Refreshes", I believe this is the most logical conclusion. It might be restarting before its flushed all changes to disk or some other issue causing it to lose configuration data integrity. Keeping a Surface Pro running smoothly is a Sisyphean endeavor.

OP
L

logan1323

An endless task is about right. We seem to run into many finicky problems with them such as this and I'm unable to find many straight answers to the issues. This is a main one though that seems to bug a majority of our users, especially since its a new device and they run into this issue with it right off the bat.