What's new

Docking station idea

OP
S

Stephan

The question was about the current generation..... also you would need a native Bus to the docking station and the system would need to support hot swappable RAM....

Now or later, the question is about the "near future". (For the SP3 or SP4/SP5).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible for the Surface Team to create this in the future? Yes, but highly unlikely as the industry is moving towards Wireless Docking and Cloud-offloading for more Compute, I do believe pervasive computing via a phablet class device is our future, which will be dockable but I doubt that more compute will be built into the dock, it will be used for productivity.

Haldi

It would be quite easily possible, add a i7-4930MX CPU into the Tablet (might get 1-2mm thicker) and an external GPU via PCI-E then put the CPU into "Low Power" mode when mobile and deactivate 2 cores, and use a Dock with external Cooling capabilities to use full power. 16gb RAM should be enough for nowadays.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would it be possible for Intel to develop a CPU that optimizes battery when the device is undocked and power usage when docked?

I see no reason why not. A decade ago I had options in my laptops NVidia control panel to set a scale of battery life -> performance for the gpu when plugged in/unplugged

And it's not like cpu's don't throttle back when not being used etc.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I see no reason why not. A decade ago I had options in my laptops NVidia control panel to set a scale of battery life -> performance for the gpu when plugged in/unplugged

And it's not like cpu's don't throttle back when not being used etc.

That was the Optimus Project, driver and firmware support was abysmal and the project was abandoned, many of those devices couldn't be updated to Windows 7 without disabling the NVIDIA GPU.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was the Optimus Project, driver and firmware support was abysmal and the project was abandoned, many of those devices couldn't be updated to Windows 7 without disabling the NVIDIA GPU.

That's something different. I'm talking NVIDIA ti4200 days. In the NVIDIA control panel there was a slider to adjust between performance and battery life.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's something different. I'm talking NVIDIA ti4200 days. In the NVIDIA control panel there was a slider to adjust between performance and battery life.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the dual GPU laptops that had an Intel GMA for when on battery and the NVIDIA GPU when on mains....