What's new

Docking Station

GegeNY

Hello,
The docking station work well, no problem.
But I see that the Surface pro 3 get much hoter when in the station, is it normal?
Thank you

Telstar1948

Mine gets a little warmer while in the dock, but I think it's powering little gremlins here and there along with 2 external monitors, multiple USB devices etc. It doesn't cause the fan to run unless it is doing a virus scan or updating a good sized program.

mtalinm

my machine won't sleep for long in the dock. even if I press the power button at night it's all lit up by morning.

Gegech

I was wondering if this is because the sides of the station hide some of the vents on surface sidesides.

Kif

Hello,
The docking station work well, no problem.
But I see that the Surface pro 3 get much hoter when in the station, is it normal?
Thank you

I noticed this happening when I leave the type cover on it closed. Once I removed the type cover the extra heat went away. Maybe some heat escapes threw the screen. By the way no air vents are blocked by the docking station.

Last edited:
OP
G

GegeNY

What is a normal temperature, I just started using it this morning, it show already 80C?
Is that normal?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's warmer because the device is constantly charging.
Yeah, maybe his hand was shaking because of the heat generated by calculating pen position vectors at an angle in the docking station with the type cover attached while screen beaming to the iPad. :D

or we got confused with a cross post. :)

wditters

Also be aware that the databus that is used to connect the SP3 and the Docking station might be USB 3.0 even though the connector on the side is proprietary. Which would mean that all USB and Ethernet transfers over the Docking Station do have a CPU impact. This has never been confirmed nor denied by Microsoft, and therefore the jury is still out on that. But since the Docking station allows for more connections over one bus, it would (partially) explain a higher CPU load and therefore addition heat generation .. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also be aware that the databus that is used to connect the SP3 and the Docking station might be USB 3.0 even though the connector on the side is proprietary. Which would mean that all USB and Ethernet transfers over the Docking Station do have a CPU impact. This has never been confirmed nor denied by Microsoft, and therefore the jury is still out on that. But since the Docking station allows for more connections over one bus, it would (partially) explain a higher CPU load and therefore addition heat generation .. :)
I recall reading somewhere that it was hinted at being a pcie interface (using nonstandard connector) which makes sense to me in that its standard fare with available chipsets and the connector has more pins than USB needs.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just as an aside.... even though there is nothing official if you look at the connector on the dock there are 30 additional pins, there is only 9 on the power connector....

Liam2349

Just as an aside.... even though there is nothing official if you look at the connector on the dock there are 30 additional pins, there is only 9 on the power connector....

I assume they have already planned the connector on SP4, so I assume the SP4 can make use of this somehow. Doubt they would just throw in pins for the sake of it.