Does Gmail Call Phone Work on Surface?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by Slick, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Slick

Slick New Member

I just returned my 1 day old Galaxy Tab 2 to Costco (no problem) because I could not access Gmail Call Phone. My feeling; If I can't access the online apps I want I might as well buy an Apple product. Thank you for any information you can provide, I'm new to this tablet thing, like one day.

2. Slick

Slick New Member

This question has been up for 7 days, 123 views and no answer or comment. This forum blows.

3. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    I have a feeling not many people are using this. Because it requires a browser plugin there is a good chance it won't work. You may have to wait for Google (or another developer)to put out an app if there isn't one already.

4. Slick

Slick New Member

Thank you for the reply, not definitive but at least some notice was taken of my post. I suppose the tablet crowd is mainly populated by people owning smart phones and the google call phone feature is of no interest. But for me it's a requirement for any tablet I would buy. Thanks again.

5. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    If I had one I'd test it for you since there is a desktop browser where plugins might work. Windows RT desktop is limited though so maybe not. Of course if you wait for the Surface Pro you will have this ability.

6. Slick

Slick New Member

This post has been up for three weeks and still no definitive answer. Has anyone tried making phone calls with their Surface? And, has anyone tried using gmail call phone?

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I don't think many people use the Google Phone Service, I can tell you I make VOIP calls using the Lync 2013 Client but this requires a full Lync 2010 Server Deployment (or later) that supports Enterprise Voice. Go over to Google and look at the requirements and if it requires an ActiveX or Java plug it most likely will not work. If it requires a Win32 executable it will not work. I went over to look, are you referring to Google Talk or Google Phone? Google Phone uses Flash, so it might work if by nothing else using them Flash Whitelist hack.

8. bkos

bkos New Member

I just tried it and it does not work. Google needs to install their voice and video software onto the tablet for the Gmail call phone function to work. While Windows 8 RT does allow you to download it and run the software to install it, it then gives you the nice "This app cannot be run on your PC" message.