What's new

Does Keyboard Wrap/Fold Around?

Surfy Yoo

I am interesting in purchasing a Surface Pro 3 and I have not been able to find a single review that answers my question. I like the fact that the keyboard can also serve as a protective cover (I assume) for the screen. One of my use cases would be to walk around on a construction jobsite and use it in tablet mode, and I'd want to be able to fold the keyboard around to the back, at which point I'd hope the keys would automatically shut off. Then when done I'd want to be able to cover the screen with the keyboard to protect it.

In a nutshell I want to keep the keyboard always attached and just fold it over when using it as a tablet.

Is this possible?

Thank You

Sanjay

YES, it does wrap around. Also, the keyboard does automatically switch off when wrapped around. Alternately, and what is my preferred way of using the SP3 in tablet mode, is to unattach the keyboard and reattach it in reverse. This way the keys are also not exposed and they stay protected.

Last edited:
OP
S

Surfy Yoo

Great info, thanks! I sat through 30 minutes of youtube videos hoping some reviewer would address this obvious question! Didn't want to order one only to find out I had assumed wrong. Thanks again.

JustABreathAway

I actually find it more comfortable to hold with the keyboard wrapped around in tablet mode - somehow this gives my hand more purchase grip than with the keyboard detached for longitudinal use. This doesn't seem to stress the cover material in the least, but it's hard to say if the cover will withstand years of use like this.

Geneo

Just thought I'd mention that there's also a fairly good size Virtual keyboard too. That way you don't have to put the sp3 down each time to use the 'normal' keyboard when typing quick notes.
The Good News is it does fold completely back and turns off, just like you want. (That's cool!)
The Bad News is the keyboard is exposed like that. (Seems like the keyboard is substantial enough to handle it to me though. Hey, you can always buy another one if you need to.)

Knuck

The reverse wrap around, the keys face the back of the surface and are not exposed when wrapped around, is a great tip. Protects the rear of the surface and offers a nice feeling grip. The only downside is the added weight compared to not having the keyboard attached in tablet mode.

wynand32

Definitely a great tip re: reversing the Type Cover. At home I just take it off when I'm in tablet mode, but when out of the house that would be preferable to risking leaving it behind or exposing the keys when leaving it attached.

BaritoneGuy

YES, it does wrap around. Also, the keyboard does automatically switch off when wrapped around. Alternately, and what is my preferred way of using the SP3 in tablet mode, is to unattach the keyboard and reattach it in reverse. This way the keys are also not exposed and they stay protected.

I had no idea you could do this. Learn something new everyday

Thanks

Prowler9

Very cool!!!

How many of you tried it after watching the video? I didn't even have my keyboard in the same room but got up to try it lol

LarryE1946

Great review, but he forgot one important tip. To just press on the top button of the pen to open OneNote. Don't need to tap the App on the screen.

cdf3

I flip my backwards a lot while letting the kickstand rest on the underside of the keyboard.
Makes it quite comfortable when browsing the web while in bed, or sitting on the couch.