What's new

Does MS really want 1st gen surface out there still?

goodintentions

I'm speaking from the perspective of an app developer. I know with each update to my apps, things are improved both visually and programmatically. Over time, these changes have made my apps hundreds of times better than their first iterations.

Recently, I compiled and used one of the early published versions of one of my apps. Holy cow, it absolutely sucked compared to today's version.

I had an original surface rt. I gave it to my nephew last year. Just the other day, I visited him and used that surface rt. Strictly speaking about the form factor, it kinda sucked compared to my sp3.

I know that I always want people to use the latest updates of my apps. There's always something new to show off. At the same time, I don't want people to use the old versions.

Do you think MS is cringing at knowing the original surfaces are still out there in the wild?

kevinlevrone

I think the original Surface Pro is a perfectly useable device, it surpasses many other comparable hybrid devices even at this time. The Surface RT is quite limited but it was like this from the beginning, you knew what you buy.

Nuspieds

It's not as if the Surface Pro is somewhat comparable to Windows 95 or XP in the sense that it represents a large number of unsupported Users whom Microsoft would love to see upgrade to the latest platform.

Though it is no longer my primary PC, I still use my SP1 for specialized activities, thus allowing me to continue to compute on my SP2 uninterrupted.

TeknoBlast

I kept my Spro1 until after a few months the Spro3 was released. I used it daily and was very happy with it. With the added power cover, the extra weight was unbearable. The tablet alone wasnt bad, but with power cover, oh no.

Was very happy with the Spro1. Gotta love the Spro3 more though.

surfdock

We still use our original Surface RT daily. It works great and still has awesome battery life. Its a great consumption device and runs Netflix, email, and Internet explorer really well. I'm less enthusiastic about the Surface Pro 1 I have at work cause I *have* to lug around the power brick since the battery goes so quickly on that model.

The SP3 is the best of both worlds - light and thin like the Surface RT but has a full OS and plenty of computing power for getting real work done. Plus that gorgeous screen and friction hinge flipstand. :drool:

ptrkhh

If the Surface team has succeeded to make people to think like you, then they actually have succeeded doing at their job. Its not bad, its good. Its really good. That means, they have given enough innovation and improvement over the older model to warrant upgrading.
That's what Apple failed to deliver in the recent generation of iPads, hence their sales figure is going downwards.