What's new

Does your kickstand hinge make a clicking noise?

Does your kickstand make a clicking noise?

• Total voters

cdf3

If you move your kickstand on your Surface Pro 3, does it make a clicking noise when it pass certain angles?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you move your kickstand on your Surface Pro 3, does it make a clicking noise when it pass certain angles?

Sounds like you have some grit in the hinge... just looking I wouldn't recommend trying to flush it with anything but perhaps air would work... although id check with MS first and if there's a store nearby take it in.

I have no clicking when moving mine.

OP
cdf3

cdf3

I went to a store to test out their display units. 4 out of 7 of the units I tested all made the click sound.
I thought about returning mine, but after testing the units they had in the store, the likely hood that I’d get a unit with the same issue would be pretty high. I could end up getting a unit that works perfectly at first, then begins to click weeks later just like mine did. I guess I’ll just keep what I have.

The best way to test is to close the TypeCover keyboard, and lay the Surface Pro down with the kickstand facing up towards you. Take your left hand and place it on the left side of the kickstand, and your right hand on the right side of the kickstand. Extend the kickstand all the way out to 150 degrees. As you slowly close the kickstand, it will make a clicking sound around 140 degrees. You will most likely notice it coming from the left hinge. If yours does not make that sound, then you should probably feel lucky. Mine didn’t make that sound until recently. I assume the more you use it, it will begin to make that noise.

Last edited:

jtuck82

My kickstand only makes a squeaky sound or a creak when I push on the back of the kickstand near the hinge when its open. If I do what you say and lay mine face down with the type cover on a table and use both hands to open it, it works just fine, with no squeak. I've had bad luck. I had a good one for about 20 days and then it started showing streaks (like scratches that would appear to go away when wiping with a micro cloth) but then come right back after getting fingerprints on it. So I decided to return it and I ended up going through 3 more before I got a pretty good one. Then I decided to swap one last time because I wanted the 8gb/256 version that I currently have. The 3 that were bad had various different problems and a couple of them had loud popping when opening the kickstand. Anyways I'm happy now with my 8/256 model.

OP
cdf3

cdf3

My kickstand only makes a squeaky sound or a creak when I push on the back of the kickstand near the hinge when its open. If I do what you say and lay mine face down with the type cover on a table and use both hands to open it, it works just fine, with no squeak. I've had bad luck. I had a good one for about 20 days and then it started showing streaks (like scratches that would appear to go away when wiping with a micro cloth) but then come right back after getting fingerprints on it. So I decided to return it and I ended up going through 3 more before I got a pretty good one. Then I decided to swap one last time because I wanted the 8gb/256 version that I currently have. The 3 that were bad had various different problems and a couple of them had loud popping when opening the kickstand. Anyways I'm happy now with my 8/256 model.
I've been thinking of upgrading mine to the 8GB/256 model. I'm always using about 3.0 GB of RAM, and the fans will come on when doing anything when the RAM increases more than that. Did you notice a difference in performance between your 4GB and 8GB Surface Pro?

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Just replaced my SP3 with another unit. The kickstand on the new one doesn't lock firmly in place. Once I move it to any particular angle, I'm able to rock the kickstand back and forth slightly in each direction. I also hear the mechanism clicking against one another. Think I'm going to return it.

ipaq_101

I have noticed my unit making a clicking sound every now and then. I am inclined to think that this is normal.

Last edited:

jtuck82

I've been thinking of upgrading mine to the 8GB/256 model. I'm always using about 3.0 GB of RAM, and the fans will come on when doing anything when the RAM increases more than that. Did you notice a difference in performance between your 4GB and 8GB Surface Pro?

I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I just love the fact that if I need a little more performance the ram will help out quite a bit. I did get up to about 3.7 out of the 7.9 of the available ram when I was sketching in Manga Studio 5 on my 8/256. I had Modern IE and speccy running too. My 4gb never went passed like 2.7. I didn't have manga studio when I had my 4/128 model though.

Exchanged it for another that's now working as it should.

Did you just even swap or did you upgrade and get the 8/256?

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Did you just even swap or did you upgrade and get the 8/256?

I exchanged it for the 8GB/256. When I got my 8GB/256 model I noticed that the kickstand was very loose, and was making more noise than my SP3 4GB/128 model. Swapped the new 8/256 out for another 8GB/256 unit, and the kickstand is nearly perfect. I also feel better about the RAM because I no longer have to keep going to Task Manager playing RAM Police.