What's new

does your surface get hot just browsing?

guess the title says it all. when using the modern browser to just flip around sites like this one, my unit gets quite warm and the fan may come on low. i have an i7..

michael

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
i5/256 - No heat issues what so ever, the only time I've heard the fan was the last set of Windows Updates....

mitchellvii

Define hot? Anything up to 80C or so is safe for these machines. An i7 will get the hottest of all the CPU's. Think about this. In a desktop computer an i7 is typically water cooled with about 5 fans blowing on it.

If the back of the tablet is too hot to hold, just keep the keyboard attached and folded back while browsing. Yes a little bit more heavy but you won't feel the warmth. The SP3 i7 is going to get warmer than an Android tablet, just accept that. In PC's, speed = heat.

When your fan comes on, open your Task Manager and click on the first column so that it sorts by what is using the most CPU. If something is making it run over 25% that will typically turn the fan on. Downloading and updating are the chief culprits for generating heat and fan noise.

FlySwatter

Not for me. The majority of my use is tethered to a 4G phone and browsing with Firefox. I have yet to embrace the Metro IE.

kristalsoldier

i5/ 128GB...nopes! I browse all the time using MUI IE and the device remains cool to touch. Fans came on IIRC only once during of the update sequences. I have noticed, however, that the device does get a bit warm - noticeable, but not overly so - when using the Pen. That said, I should also mention that the ambient temperature in my neck of the woods currently is around 15-16 degrees C during the day and between 7-12 degrees C at night. So, maybe that makes a difference.

ctitanic

guess the title says it all. when using the modern browser to just flip around sites like this one, my unit gets quite warm and the fan may come on low. i have an i7..

michael
Pages with a lot of flash and ads can cause overheating, add some tracking filters to IE and that will help.

Capture.JPG