What's new

does your surface get hot just browsing?

JH99

My first i7 ran hot and I thought it was normal, I exchanged it for another i7 and it ran a lot cooler and no fan.

double07

No, my i7 fan hardly kicks in. however the i5 I had, the fan kicked in all the times.

With all these fan/heat issue, it seems to be random across i5 and i7. I almost think that the SF3 is suffering from improper thermal compound installation on CPU. this was once an a major issue with Alienware laptop at the point it fried cpu.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of times you have a process using high CPU resources that's the culprit, other times its a bit more subtle what's causing it. In any case something is running abnormally driving up the heat. Refreshing has cleared up a lot of these problems. Find the 8/19 firmware in the update list after refreshing and apply that first by it self.

If you have refreshed and applied all updates without shutting down due to temp (which shouldn't happed with 8/19 FW) and you're still having an issue, it may be time to speak with MS.

cdf3

I thought I have mentioned before. You will love it, IE goes faster after applying those filters.

How do I add the filters?
I went to IE > Settings > Manage Add-ons > Tracking Protection, but didn't see the ones you had highlighted.

TunaSurface

I use chrome, and the device is warm all the time. Really uncomfortable when using in bed.
No I wont use IE since it's desktop version too if it's not as the default browser,
also IE is or feels slower than Chrome.

John Semberger

To respond to the OP I have had my i7 SP3 for several weeks without issue. After applying all of the patches from early last week I was laying in bed surfing using Metro IE like I have done for weeks without issue and noticed that all of a sudden the back corner was very hot and the fan was running full bore. A check of task manager showed the CPU was running 60 to 80 percent.

I shut down metro IE and went to regular IE and it was fine (6 to 15 percent CPU). Opened metro back and it went right back up. I checked to make sure all the updates and firmware had been applied and they had so I was trying everything in my power to figure out what was going on.

As a last ditch effort, I completely powered off the SP3 and back on again and mysteriously everything was back to normal with Metro IE going down to 5 to 15 percent CPU. I typically do not power off my device completely and do restarts when needed but apparently it wanted a full shut down.

Not sure if that will take care of your issue but it did mine and it has been working fine for several days now.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use chrome, and the device is warm all the time. Really uncomfortable when using in bed.
No I wont use IE since it's desktop version too if it's not as the default browser,
also IE is or feels slower than Chrome.
Chrome make it feel hot because its using lots of power to make it seem like its fast. Google finally acknowledged its a problem and says they will fix it...but no idea when... I guess we will see if they do.
You should be complaining to Google though, not here.

malberttoo

How do I add the filters?
I went to IE > Settings > Manage Add-ons > Tracking Protection, but didn't see the ones you had highlighted.

Once you get to that spot, there's a button there that says something like "add filters" or something. It will open a new "gallery" IE window.

malberttoo

To the OP, about the only time I notice my SP3 ever getting warm is when the built-in "mystic" screen saver kicks in.

Last edited: