What's new

Don't laugh

EldoInTheWeeds

I am giving serious thought selling my S2, iPhone5 and iPad3 and getting an SP3. It does everything I need. The only thing is I like to read in the tub. :big smile: For my iPad 3 I have a LifeProof case which allows that but they do not make one for the SP3. I don't need to submerge the SP3, I just need to keep it dry. I found some scuba bags via Google but wonder if anyone has used them or has a better idea.

leeshor

Not laughing. On another forum one of the users found that the best way to apply a screen protector was in the shower. He has never forgotten he said that either.;);)

foghat

Not sure how SP3 could replace your iphone 5? Unless you just skype, I guess.

How do you read? With kindle app? If so, be aware that the Kindle app for windows 8.1 is absolutely terrible when compared to the ios version. I will be keeping my ipad just for reading as the 8.1 app is literally unusable for me.

OP
E

EldoInTheWeeds

scottysize

So, while I could probably replace my phone with the SP3 (I hardly ever use my phone to make calls, and with Google Voice, you can text, talk, etc.), I can't see carrying it with me in the grocery store (Wifey and I use Cozi for our shopping list). Also, just normal day to day carrying around would get old with the SP3. Currently I keep it in my murse, but I do not take my murse into stores with me. (I'm not that Metro sexual. :) ) This means I'd still need to keep my phone. I have replaced the iPad and MacBook Pro and even though I don't plan on taking a bath with it, (Edited for stupidity.) Originally I said use a ziplock bag, but if you do that, you'll have a chance of overheating the unit. I don't recommend suing the ziplock bag as it can't breath. Also, this si why it'd be really tough to waterproof the device because it still needs to be able to breath otherwise it'll overheat.

As for reading, you can't have my Kindle Paperwhite. Kindle is still the best way to read an eBook. Period. It's better than an iPad and way better than the Surface.

Last edited:

Seneleron

I don't use anything, tbh. I just kick the kickstand out and slip my fingers between it and the unit. Just keep firmly in mind that you're holding a VERY expensive paperweight if you nod off [which has almost happened to me twice]

The other possibility is a small flat table or stool you can set it on OUTSIDE the tub. In my case, we have a very large ledge [it's something like 2 ft deep] that works WONDERFULLY for setting up the SP to watch netflix, read, music, w/e

And I'm not laughing. I'd love to see an anonymous poll done of how many people use their tablet primarily in the bathroom. [ALL tablets, not just the SP line] I'm betting it's over 80%...

OP
E

EldoInTheWeeds

My first waterproof iPad case was essentially a super heavy duty zip bag made by the Joy Factory. They do not sell it anymore but they make other too small bags for waterproofing devices like the SP3. I wonder how big an issue heat would be. Only way to know for sure is to try.

OP
E

EldoInTheWeeds

Good news and better news! The 2.5 gallon Ziploc works just fine. It does not let in any water and the SP3 does not overheat. To test for heat issues, I ran it for an hour with Zinio flipping through pages then ran 45 minutes of YouTube videos. All went well. I then brought up Google maps and the fan came on. The only issue with a baggie is that it is very thin and the sharp corners of the SP3 dug into my hands. It was not uncomfortable enough to stop me, but still present.

I had an idea that a map case like hikers or Kayakers use would work for the SP3 too. Gander Mountain had this for $18:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/pouches-and-cases/map-case/product

The medium size model works well with no leaking or heart issues. The top seals tightly but open easily. I was paranoid about that so I put the SP3 inside and shook it up and down (over my bed) and it did not come out. I would not submerge the case but for reading in the tub I think it is fine. I think this model would be better though:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/pouches-and-cases/hp-map-case/product

It zips closed then velcros closed over that.