What's new

Downgrade Firmware?

girarcat

But where can I find the installed drivers? On the Device Manager if I go to Firmware, I find these 4 things:

-Firmware Resource
-Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware
-Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware
-Surface pro UEFI

I selected the option "previous driver" on all these Drivers or Firmware or whatever these 4 things are. Now if I check the driver date of these 4 things they're all from last October (the first of them is from 2006), but nothing has changed about the Surface's behaviour.

Dayton

Download the October package through the Download Center and unzip it. Then through the Device Manager go to the Driver tab from the Properties for the device and select Update Driver. Then browse out to the unzipped package. Since rolling back firmware didn't help then is one of the updated drivers to blame? "Improved Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality" looks pretty suspicious, do you use a Touch Cover?

girarcat

Thanks for your answer but which device of the Device Manager do I have to update? Battery? Keyboard? Processor? Mouse? etc.

Bye!

Dayton

I don't think it has been nailed down yet, or if rolling back firmware and or drivers is a definitive fix. More something to try if you find your SP2 to be unuseable due to the firmware update. After watching my SP2 wake for no reason again while I was watching TV last night I went ahead and rolled back the firmware, except for SAM as that kept reverting to the latest after reboot.

djdurance

I don't think it has been nailed down yet, or if rolling back firmware and or drivers is a definitive fix. More something to try if you find your SP2 to be unuseable due to the firmware update. After watching my SP2 wake for no reason again while I was watching TV last night I went ahead and rolled back the firmware, except for SAM as that kept reverting to the latest after reboot.

I tried this as well... You can manually install the SAM firmware by deleting the driver and then pulling it from the ms driver pack. However, this didn't work as a solution. still had wake up issues overnight. Some are saying that going straight to hybernate is the solution.

macmee

You cannot downgrade the firmware -- you need to wait until MS releases a fix.

It sounds like other people in the thread have reverted successfully...

Also, is there a way to confirm that you have the botched firmware for sure?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Look in your Update History, if you have the Firmware Failed in your history you have it (assuming you ran the update between Dec 10-12, if you updated after that they already had pulled the update).

macmee

Look in your Update History, if you have the Firmware Failed in your history you have it (assuming you ran the update between Dec 10-12, if you updated after that they already had pulled the update).

My update history has a failure on 2013-12-10, surly this means I don't have it?

Moreover, when I try to run an update now I get "surface there was a problem installing updates 80073701", is that normal? I can't update anything, the entire update app is stuck on the message.

Last edited:

drolem

Nope. They may have thought they did roll it back, but in reality they did not.

When FW is getting installed, amongst other things the following will happen:
a) FW is getting copied into C:\Windows\Firmware
b) flashed in by UEFI

One can undo a) and make Device Mangler think that the device has a different FW, but downgrading FW is not possible using the previous, lower version FW.

Go to Device Manager
Click on the FW (either UEFI, System Aggregator, or Embedded Controller)
Go to Details
Select Hardware ids
the "&REV_[whatever] " will tell you the FW version you have (I do not know the numbers off-hand)

Post your numbers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My update history has a failure on 2013-12-10, surly this means I don't have it?

Moreover, when I try to run an update now I get "surface there was a problem installing updates 80073701", is that normal? I can't update anything, the entire update app is stuck on the message.

That is the Firmware Failure (it partially installed). I need to research the cleaning up of the Update DB but I'm at work currently.

jollywombat

From what we have seen, it installs quite a number of updates with this firmware update. Most of them install, but just a few fail for whatever reason, so it tells you the entire update failed which is not necessarily true.

The windows update issue can be caused by a number of things. Try running the windows update troubleshooter and see what it gets you, its surprisingly decent at fixing the various errors that come up.