What's new

Draw (almost directly) Onto the Desktop

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is an extension of a post from here: HowTo - Get My Back - How To Retrieve Current Windows Desktop Background | Microsoft Surface Forums

DRAW ALMOST DIRECTLY ONTO THE DESKTOP

Here is how to place handwriting, drawings, images, etc. onto your desktop background using a Surface (or other touch-screen) device and Windows 10. The trick involves placing a shortcut on the desktop (or in an alternative place of your choice) which can open an editable copy of the current desktop background.

1) Right-click Desktop, New, Shortcut
2) Paste in line below, then Next:
Code:
%WINDIR%\system32\mspaint.exe %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper
3. Save as Draw on Desk (this example) and Finish.

To use:
1) Launch the shortcut.
2) Draw, paste, insert, or whatever you want to do.
3) Close. Give the image a name and destination.
4) Browse to and choose this file as your new desktop image.

Windows keeps a short list of your most recent desktop backgrounds in Settings/Personalization/Background . This makes it very handy to revert when your markup is no longer needed. This is what I do until Microsoft comes up with something direct.

Note: Inking on your desktop using this procedure does not alter the original desktop file, unless you deliberately force Paint to do so. In this way, your mark ups could be temporary notes, phone numbers, etc. until you wish to re-select your original desktop. Also, other computers synchronized with OneDrive will not reflect these notes.

Screenshot (112).png

snip_20151211190037.png

snip_20151211190356.png

Screenshot (114).png

Screenshot (113).png

CrippsCorner

That's pretty cool. I really miss the Sidebar post-it notes. I found a work around for Windows 7, I wonder if it'd work with Windows 10 too.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty cool. I really miss the Sidebar post-it notes. I found a work around for Windows 7, I wonder if it'd work with Windows 10 too.

Windows 10 provides "Sticky Notes" (All Applications, Windows Accessories) or search directly for it. You can write directly onto the sticky.

Screenshot (8).png