What's new

Drawings that you have done with your surface

TunaSurface

Just in comparison...
Stickman Lunch.png

SeeVuPlay

I aspire to be as good some day vxm...youre talented!

TunaSurface....I love your drawing too! You must have been sitting in your office staring out the window daydreaming when you sketched that up!

vxm

it's cheaper than photoshop, latter being the most widely used piece of software, although I wouldn't buy it if I wasn't certain it can work for me- you can download 30 day trial, trial days are counted only if you open software, so it's rather fair deal to start with :) If you want free software, there's Krita which aims to be PS counterpart and has nice brush engine (better than photoshop in my humble opinion), MyPaint, which sadly is lacking on Windows but is great for painting itself (you would have to rely on other software for cropping or final touches). There's also Artrage, that is bit crazy (I can't get control over brushes, they live their own life) but way cheaper than Painter at around 70$.

If you want to start though, I'd go with MyPaint and Krita combo, they're good, they're free- from there you can decide if you need full blown software for your drawing (TBH I only stopped using MyPaint because I found Painter, so it's perfectly capable little piece of code :) )

SeeVuPlay

it's cheaper than photoshop, latter being the most widely used piece of software, although I wouldn't buy it if I wasn't certain it can work for me- you can download 30 day trial, trial days are counted only if you open software, so it's rather fair deal to start with :) If you want free software, there's Krita which aims to be PS counterpart and has nice brush engine (better than photoshop in my humble opinion), MyPaint, which sadly is lacking on Windows but is great for painting itself (you would have to rely on other software for cropping or final touches). There's also Artrage, that is bit crazy (I can't get control over brushes, they live their own life) but way cheaper than Painter at around 70$.

If you want to start though, I'd go with MyPaint and Krita combo, they're good, they're free- from there you can decide if you need full blown software for your drawing (TBH I only stopped using MyPaint because I found Painter, so it's perfectly capable little piece of code :) )

When you create your drawings using paint, have you always used a pen/stylus of some sort? or did you start using the pen with the Surface Pro 3? Do you still use KB and Mouse? when I sketch, I use the pen exclusively. Also, thanks for giving me more information on the different types of software available. I really am interested in stepping up to a higher level when drawing. I grew up on pencil and paper so the digital art is kinda new to me, mostly because of the pen on SP3 that I started drawing again.

I think I'll go with the 30 day trial.

Reactions: vxm

vxm

yep, I use stylus all the time. Only tasks I perform using KB/mouse are photoshop related like adding effects to text, scaling etc. - that is, only when I know I won't be drawing :)