What's new

Drilling sound on SP3

spinachpie

I was using Chrome last night watching some youtube videos and my SP3 suddenly started making noises which were very peculiar.

I can hear the fan sometimes and this definitely was not the same sound.

It sounded like a low drilling sound and it only stopped when I locked the screen. Upon unlocking, the sound came back.

It was cured by closing chrome and the videos.

Anyone experienced this? I can't upload from work, but it was quite concerning

Giuseppe

i have the same issue, actually it looks like that the fan when make that noise is moving very slowly not enough faster to be consider in cooling operation. If you change the angle of your surface you can fill that the noise disappear. Is definitely a fan noise but only because it not rotate faster enough to keep balance. It start for me after a firmware update, I never ear that before, and I think is something that came with the fixing of the overheating issue. Yesterday I have the fun running a little to cool my surface after some hard work but because the fan running at middle speed no noise like drill was avertible.

Liam2349

Thanks - if it's not sitting right, can that cause other faults? Is it dangerous?

It could come completely loose at some point and damage other components, and aside from that I imagine the noise will be frustrating. It shouldn't be dangerous to you, but your SP3 should not vibrate rigorously when the fan kicks in.

The reason you discovered this with Chrome is likely because compared to other browsers, Chrome is very resource intensive - something Google is apparently looking into.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Thanks for the replies.

Damn it's harder getting refunds/replacements in NZ than USA or UK - such a chore as they take it in to test it etc - leaving me computerless!

Giuseppe

just a question, is it your drilling noise so high in volume that is easy to be avertible? My one can be listen only in a room totally quite with the ear close to the air escape on top side. If that is the noise that you listen is only because the fan rotate to slow to be balanced. I think that many owner have that noise but never ear because it is very low. If your one it's very high in intensity and you can ear while the surface is in a cooling condition and the fun run faster that is another story and it's better that you try to contact Microsoft.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

just a question, is it your drilling noise so high in volume that is easy to be avertible? My one can be listen only in a room totally quite with the ear close to the air escape on top side. If that is the noise that you listen is only because the fan rotate to slow to be balanced. I think that many owner have that noise but never ear because it is very low. If your one it's very high in intensity and you can ear while the surface is in a cooling condition and the fun run faster that is another story and it's better that you try to contact Microsoft.

Definitely the latter. It was very loud.

Liam2349

Thanks for the replies.

Damn it's harder getting refunds/replacements in NZ than USA or UK - such a chore as they take it in to test it etc - leaving me computerless!

How long have you had the device?

I hope that if mine broke I could get an advanced exchange.