What's new

Dropbox

BMS in WeHo

I was glad to see the dropbox app available for this device, but am very unhappy with its apparent limitations. Hoping I'm just not doing something correctly; have wasted too much time trying to figure it out by myself, so hoping someone here has a similar setup and can help.

1. opening files. It seems i have to go to the dropbox app, navigate to the document i want, then open. when i'm in an application (e.g. Word or Excel) and say open, i can't see a dropbox folder from which to select the file i want. Is there something I'm missing?

2. saving files. same goes in the other direction. once i have the document open and edit it (or create a new document in an app like Word or Excel), it looks like i have to save to my local documents folder then upload, rather than save directly to dropbox. Again, am I missing something?

On my macbook once I installed dropbox I could see the dropbox folder in my finder, or as a save as option in any application I might be working in. Same goes for desktop PC's I have running a variety of windows OS (though admittedly, none are running windows 8).

This is really making it problematic. The cynic in me says Microsoft just doesn't want customers using competing product, wants us all to switch to their cloud storage (just as they make it well nigh impossible to use google search in the installed version of IE, much less use another browser totally). I'm hoping someone out there knows how to avoid making the change as my clients rely on dropbox and wouldn't switch just on my account.

leeshor

DropBox should have created a folder on your Surface, (DropBox), if not you can create one and tell DropBox what/where it is. I have files stored on local storage and some with shortcuts on my desktop. Any file I edit gets synced to the cloud in under a minute automatically.

OP
B

BMS in WeHo

DropBox should have created a folder on your Surface, (DropBox), if not you can create one and tell DropBox what/where it is. I have files stored on local storage and some with shortcuts on my desktop. Any file I edit gets synced to the cloud in under a minute automatically.

As far as I can tell, it didn't create any folder on my surface. And while I can certainly create a folder within my documents folder on the surface, that won't be the same as the dropbox folder in the cloud that includes all the files that my client and I have shared with each other, so it won't answer. Nor can I see where I can tell the dropbox app to look at any other folders anyway. Clearly I'm messing something. Can you clarify how to do what you suggest, or were you doing something different than what I'm trying to do?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the confusion is that the OP is using a RT Device, if that is the case you have to use the MUI (Store) App....the Dropbox Community may have more suggestions though.

OP
B

BMS in WeHo

I am indeed, which is why I posted this thread under RT apps :). All I hear in the dropbox forum is that I'm SOL, I was hoping someone here knew better. Still hoping.......

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
IIRC you're limited to the MUI App for Dropbox and it is up to them to build the functionality you're looking for, your other option is to use OneDrive which has much better integration and support.

leeshor

As far as I can tell, it didn't create any folder on my surface. And while I can certainly create a folder within my documents folder on the surface, that won't be the same as the dropbox folder in the cloud that includes all the files that my client and I have shared with each other, so it won't answer. Nor can I see where I can tell the dropbox app to look at any other folders anyway. Clearly I'm messing something. Can you clarify how to do what you suggest, or were you doing something different than what I'm trying to do?
That's what I get for not paying attention to the forum I'm in. My bad.

leeshor

Not the first time and probably won't be the last. I wander. ;);)

Someone mentioned the other day that I was all over the place. I admit it.