What's new

Dropped my baby in water

vsherry

I had it on the bar, and it fell behind it into some water. I have two fans on it, and after nine hours, there is still no sign of life so far. I did not get accidental coverage. This is awful.

RémiM

Wow, I am very sorry. You are very unlucky.

Let the time do its work, and do not rush to turn it on.

Edit: maybe you can try the rice trick --> put the sp3 in a plate and cover it of rice. Watch out the vents.

VickiFL

Oh no. :(

I did buy Microsoft Complete for my SP3 because accidents tend to happen in my house. :rolleyes:

OP
V

vsherry

Wow, I am very sorry. You are very unlucky.

Let the time do its work, and do not rush to turn it on.

Edit: maybe you can try the rice trick --> put the sp3 in a plate and cover it of rice. Watch out the vents.

I plan to try turning it on again around 1 a.m., which will be 24 hours. I have heard of the rice thing. I will read about it and try it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the humidity level where you are, that will impact how long it will take to dry. if it's winter time and the heat is on your humidity may be pretty low already in which case circulating air with a fan or hair dryer on low may be even more effective than a passive drying agent in a bag.
DampRid may work better than rice and its available at Home Depot or Lowes fairly cheap. Either way seal the container or bag with the Surface and drying agent inside which will absorb available moisture but give it plenty of time to work... Id probably give it 48 hours.

strollin

Bummer! I hate to say this but since you've already tried to turn it on, it probably has been damaged. Water is a good conductor so, if you turned it on before it was completely dry, some components may have been shorted.

I hope I'm wrong and it eventually starts working again. Good luck to you.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Get some White Rice (Lots of it maybe 5LBS) and a bucket, put a screen protector on the device an poor some of the dry white rice in the bottom of the bucket, now put the SP3 in the bucket and leave for at least 48 hours....

goodintentions

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear what happened.

On a lighter note, I got a call from my mom at 3 in the morning a couple nights ago. My retired parents always leave the country and go to the tropics in November and come back in March to escape the winter here. Anyway, before she went this year, I gave her a galaxy note 2 to take with her. Well, she told me she had it in her pocket and forgot it was there so she took a swim in the ocean with it :p

Good thing I gave her a secondary smartphone (windows phone) to take with just in case something happens to the android.

goodintentions

Bummer! I hate to say this but since you've already tried to turn it on, it probably has been damaged. Water is a good conductor so, if you turned it on before it was completely dry, some components may have been shorted.

I hope I'm wrong and it eventually starts working again. Good luck to you.
Agreed with this assessment. The motherboard is probably fried.

I know it is tempting to try to turn it on right away to see if it's ok. It's human nature. But turning it on is the worst thing you can do. It would probably take a couple days in dry rice to get all the moisture out.

NeilG

I recovered a water damaged iPhone using the rice method, as has been said turning the device on too soon should be avoided. Leave it in the rice as long as you can but having turned it on already may have been fatal.