Dual External Monitors on Surface Pro?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by rghataode, Feb 10, 2013.

1. rghataode

rghataode New Member

I thought this was possible? How do you get 2 monitors connected to 1 mini displayport? Please help. Any adapters, or other suggestions?
  2. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

Physically not possible. External must be HDMI capable.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express
  3. toomuchExcel

toomuchExcel New Member

what else?

What other options are available that any of you would recommend? Is USB 3.0 --> *magic/hub* --> monitor a realistic solution?
  4. magicrobots

magicrobots New Member

My coworker has a large monitor running through a USB adapter - it totally works. But it's a slow connection so redraws are low performance; good only for web browsing or email or something.
  5. rghataode

rghataode New Member

Just a quick update, I successfully setup dual external monitors by doing 1 monitor with the Mini Display Port, and 1 monitor with USB3.0 adapter.

The monitor on the USB3.0 is the same resolution, but you can tell it is a little slow at times.

With Mini Displayport, there is a way to daisy chain monitors that have displayport or mini displayport, but haven't found the exact info yet on that. That would eliminate the need to run the 2nd monitor with USB3.0. Can anyone chime in?
  6. Costco_Law_Degree

Costco_Law_Degree New Member

Is that a total of THREE screens or TWO screens? I.e. is the Surface Pro tablet screen replicated on one of the monitors?
  7. rghataode

rghataode New Member

That is a total of 3 screens, 1 being the Surface Pro's. So 2 external DELL Monitors with Displayport, and the Surface Pro's monitor.
  8. Costco_Law_Degree

I should have made my question more clear. You have the surface pro screen, and two extended displays. So you can have three different documents (one on each screen) loaded at the same time?
  9. rghataode

rghataode New Member

Yes. You can have 3 seperate documents on each. 3 SEPERATE displays.

20130210_154704.jpg
  10. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

There are HDMI splitters, but that won't of much use. You can try the USB solution for PowerPoint it maybe good enough, so long as not graphics intensive.
  11. Costco_Law_Degree

Right on! Thanks for the reply!
  12. kkuhia

kkuhia New Member

Has anyone gotten two external HDMI monitors (not including the Surface display) to work just from the mini Display Port? I'm trying to get my Surface Pro to work with two 28" HDMI monitors. I bought the Cirago NuView X2 Mini Display Port to 2 HDMI Multimonitor Adapter from Fry's Electronics, but that didn't seem to work. It only shows compatible with Mac OS X, Windows 7, Vista, and XP so maybe it won't work with Windows 8. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will work with the Intel HD 4000 graphics and Windows 8 to go from Mini Display Port to 2 HDMI monitors?
  13. Ruffles

Ruffles Active Member

DisplayPort 1.2 can support daisy chained multiple monitors but I think I read somewhere that the Surface only has DisplayPort 1.1.
  14. jamestIL

jamestIL New Member

15. kkuhia

kkuhia New Member

Thanks for the Accel suggestion. I looked that up on Amazon and the reviews said that product just stretches the screen across the 3 monitors. So it doesn't look like it gives you true multi monitor support.

I also read somewhere that the surface pro has display port 1.1a.
  16. Ryan D

Ryan D New Member

It might be possible with a Matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition or the TripleHead2Go DP Edition Welcome to Matrox. They actually come with One Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort input cable. I used a VisionTek connect USB3.0 dual head display adapter that I bought for under $100 across 2 1080p displays with the Surface Pro/Acer W700P and it was very usable for business use. Only problem with the USB solution is that all the video processing is done on the CPU instead of GPU which can have performance problems with intensive graphics applications. But I was really amazed how well it played 1080p videos for a USB3.0 device.
  17. mtalinm

mtalinm Active Member

I made it happen today with the mini displayport --> VGA adapter and a pluggable USB --> DVI adapter.

the displayport was great, but the refresh on the pluggable was not perfect. not too bad, mind you, but you wouldn't want to watch video.

the real turd here is the scaling. I wish I could believe Panos' claim that they will allow different scaling on different monitors, but it strikes me as a hard problem.
  18. wjcoughlin3

wjcoughlin3 New Member

Like Ryan I believe Matrix must have a dual monitor stretch solution. I have older DualHead2Go Analog addition (non USB). Only had Surface Pro days. Hooked it up quickly after downloading manager app for Windows 7 x64. Worked flawlessly for cloning 3 screens. Pro plus 2 4:3 Samsung VGA monitors. Surface automatically resized to 4:3 size and 1024 X 768 resolution. However was not able to stretch 2 screens to 2048 X 768. Could use help if/when someone figures out configuration settings. While I have not read anything that specifically says this is possible everything I have read indicates it should. I have used this device without issue for Vista, XP, and W7 32. This is my first trip down the W8 x64 road. While stretch mode is inferior to true dual screen I have been able to work with it for quite some time.
  19. Nuspieds

Nuspieds Active Member

I'm not sure what that Accel thing does, but I certainly do not recommend it if you're want to have multi-monitor support on your Surface Pro.

Within minutes of trying it out I ditched that thing! I couldn't even determine whether it preferred video extension or duplication from Windows/Surface Pro because I had many issues resulting on both external displays, so I eventually gave up. My intention was to have two external displays, both running 2560x1600, but the Accel certainly didn't work for me.
  20. btonline

btonline New Member

In my initial searches to answer the question; will the Surface Pro support two external monitors? I have successfully setup the following. This will hopefully add to the collective knowledge.

Hardware used/required:
    1. Surface Pro 128GB
    2. Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station
    3. Plugable USB 3.0 HDMI/DVI adapter
    4. Samsung SyncMaster 216BW monitor – already owned
    5. Asus VE228H monitor

Configuration is as follows:

Surface Pro – downloaded and installed latest Displaylink drivers (link provided on Plugable website)
    Plugable docking station
    1. Ethernet port connected to LAN
    2. USB 2.0 ports, keyboard, mouse, external HD, phone charger
    3. DVI port – connected to Samsung monitor via a DVI cable that came with monitor, resolution 1680 x 1050
    4. USB 3.0 port – connected to Plugable HDMI/DVI adapter which is connected to Asus monitor via DVI cable that came with monitor, resolution 1920 x 1080
    5. Audio out – connected to Asus audio-in port

Works beautifully with not a single glitch so far.