What's new

DVD Playback Using External DVD Drive?

Sir Face

One of the only tricks I haven't gotten my SP2 to perform is to playback a DVD using an external DVD drive. I tried with an Asus SDRW-08D2S-U and it seemed to be impossible. The SP2 recognized the drive, and the DVD in it, but I never could open it to play. Shouldn't Windows Media Center play this or am I going to have to get another player (I was able to play it on my big HP desktop OK).

OP
S

Sir Face

The SP2 HAS Windows Media Center, that's what I'm saying, it won't open, or play DVD's using this external drive though, that's my problem. I'm just wondering if there's another app in the SP2 that will without having to buy one.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP2 HAS Windows Media Center, that's what I'm saying, it won't open, or play DVD's using this external drive though, that's my problem. I'm just wondering if there's another app in the SP2 that will without having to buy one.

Microsoft chose not to license DVD Codec, at the Pro Level you can buy Media Center that includes the License for playback. You can also purchase an App that includes the ability or install the Desktop version of VLC as suggested...

jackh

Microsoft chose not to license DVD Codec, at the Pro Level you can buy Media Center that includes the License for playback. You can also purchase an App that includes the ability or install the Desktop version of VLC as suggested...

If you put Media center on your Pro 2 will Windows Media Player now play DVD's?

Thanks

Jack

drolem

As far as I can remember, any DVD drive that came with SW included a d DVD player, usually a free or OEM version of PowerDVD or WinDVD, and the great majority of retail DVD drives come bundled with SW. You can also use VLC, but that may not play DVDs with certain copy protection schemes.

BeR2Y

To the point of the OP – DVD Playback

I have the SP2 and an external HP Combo Blu-ray/DVD drive. [a holdover from my HP Mini 311]

Plays DVD ???
Windows Media Center – Yes
Windows Media Player – No [if someone got to play, let me know how]
VLC Media Player – Yes
MPC HC – Yes

This is just with the SP2 stereo audio. I have not tried it on surround sound system yet. And I haven’t purchased a Blu-ray program yet.

I hope this helps.

daniielrp

The SP2 HAS Windows Media Center, that's what I'm saying.

No, you have to buy it as an add-on:

Capture.PNG