What's new

Elder Scrolls Online on SP3

codrut

Following the Microsoft SP3 for gaming page I tried to play ESO on my SP3 (i5/8GB/256 GB). Microsoft mentions ESO as being one of the featured games for SP3. I can play with Low settings at 1280x720 @30-45 fps. Trying medium settings the game does not start.
Anyone else tried this game on Surface? What are the optimal settings? The game looks good and while it is playable I want to achieve the optimal experience.
Yes, I know Surface is not for gaming, but I am only a casual gamer. And Microsoft advertised it, so.....

Thanks,
Codrut

Arizona Willie

I can't conceive of playing that game on a Surface. Even with the keyboard it would be handicapped. I played it with a Logitech keyboard that has macro keys and wouldn't want to play without this keyboard. I liked the game but quit playing because it is crafting intensive and the programmers refuse to give us an Auction House ala WOW and the game desperately needs it. Apparently they lost money at WOW's Auction House and therefore hate the idea because they couldn't master it. Otherwise it's a great game ... but I wouldn't play it on a Surface. Tablets are glorified phones as far as games go.

Haldi

The only time I've played ESO on my Surface 3 was over Steam inHome Streaming... Full resolution 30mbits bandwidth with a Bluetooth mouse.

Arizona Willie

I was not aware Steam did ESO.

I've never looked into the Streaming thing. Don't know how it works. I've got a PS3 and I suppose if I could send it through that to the tv it might work out ok.
But I always found console controllers very lacking compared to keyboards and especially compared to keyboards with macro keys.

The only time I've played ESO on my Surface 3 was over Steam inHome Streaming... Full resolution 30mbits bandwidth with a Bluetooth mouse.

OP
C

codrut

I have experimented a bit with undervolting and it seems to have an effect. SP3 i5/8GB/256GB, Windows 8.1 with the latest updates, no Intel driver (using the Microsoft one provided via Windows updates), Balanced power plan. Using Intel XTU 5.1.2.2 I set:

Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset: -79 mV
Turbo Boost Short Power Max Enable: Disabled
Turbo Boost Power Time Windows: 0.00097 Seconds (the shortest)

Processor Cache Voltage Offset: -69 mV

Processor Graphics Voltage Offset: -79 mV

With these settings I was able to get the following throttling profile:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F4B9BCC4AF96F040!110322&authkey=!AMK-CqIjl5csCNM&v=3&ithint=photo,JPG

The light green graph with many ups and downs represents the power throttling. If only I can make it stay as low as possible.