What's new

Electrically charge from metal back when plugged in.

HybridHaylee

I wonder if anyone can help.
I got my first surface RT on valentines day as a present to myself after setting it up and playing with it for a couple of days i started to notice a buzz/vibration coming from the the metal back of the tablet. Now is doesn't hurt but it feels similar to the slight vibration you get when touching the home button.
I thought nothing of it, but a few days ago I was in bed using it to read up on something while it was on charge. I propped the tablet up using my hand on the metal back and touched my boyfriends cheek with the back of my fingers and i felt a more powerful buzz with how connection. I also touched my bed post which is metal and I got the same feeling. My boyfriend copied me by putting his hand on the tablets back and touching me and he had the same reaction.

To test it further we unplugged it and and tried again, no buzzing or charge came from this.
As much as i can describe it is the static feeling when you touch an old TV's screen running your hand down it.

So in response to this I phoned up John Lewis to explain my situation and they offered to replace it. I went down to the store today returned my old one and got given a brand new one. Got home, took it out.. tested this one and the same thing happens.
I dont know if its a bad batch or it runs through the product as a technical fault but definitely something to be concerned about in health and safety.

I have a friend who has one coming down tomorrow to test his out as he doesn't seem to have any problems with his.
In the mean time i dont know what to do with it.. I think its an amazing product and I do love it but should i take this one back and get another one or put up with it. I am not very happy with it at the moment knowing its giving me an electrical while plugged in and the fact I have spend nearly £500 on a "faulty" product.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. You might need to try again with exchanging. Also make sure you are properly connecting the charger tip to the Surface and the white led light is coming on.

FFX

I think it has to do with your poweroutlets. I have had a similar experience with my iphone 4 and a Samsung ultrabook.

leeshor

It may be a grounding issue with the outlet or possibly a polarity issue. Try turning the power plug 180 and see what happens.

OP
H

HybridHaylee

The tablets are connected properly with white led being on.
My friends tablet is doing the same thing as mine so it has to be something else.

It may be a grounding issue with the outlet or possibly a polarity issue. Try turning the power plug 180 and see what happens.

What do you mean by this?

leeshor

The tablets are connected properly with white led being on.
My friends tablet is doing the same thing as mine so it has to be something else.

What do you mean by this?

A power plug has a polarity. Most plugs can only be plugged in one away with the wide prong gong going into the wide part of the outlet. So my suggestion, (not fully understanding the issue), was to try reversing the plug in the socket. If you have a bad ground you can get feedback into the circuit which would make some devices feel like they were charged with electricity. Same for reverse polarity.